[APPLE TV] No 5.1 sound with XBMC & Apple TV
Question 
I have searched thru all the threads here and still haven't solved my problem. My Apple TV plays 5.1 sound fine from .m4v files encoded with Handbrake or VisualHub, so I know my hardware setup is working. When trying to play DVDs from network drives thru XBMC, I can only get the analog setup to work. When the digital choice is selected, my receiver locks onto a 5.1 signal, but I get no audio.

Am I missing some sort of codec here or what?:confused2::confused2:
I know that AC3 only works with Optical Audio output.
Have you tried to plug the optical audio output(instead of HDMI) to your home theater?
I'm not using HDMI, just Component video cables straight to my LCD TV and optical audio to my receiver. This setup works fine for files straight from iTunes or encoded with Handbrake, but NOT for anything played through XBMC on the Apple TV that has 5.1 sound.
Sounds like you need to install the ac3 plugin.

- install a52 (ac3) http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/
tyche Wrote:Sounds like you need to install the ac3 plugin.

- install a52 (ac3) http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/

Why you think XBMC for ATV will pick up this codec?
XBMX is self contained app for decoding.. it does nor relay on external codecs..
This is a known problem with XBMC / Boxee. It should be fixed with the next release.
OK... I have installed the a52 codec as directed into the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components directory, re-booted the Apple TV, and when using XBMC again with digital optical output selected, I still get no audio. My receiver thinks there is a 5.1 source connected since my blue light comes on, etc., but no audio. When I switch back to the analog output setting, I get stereo output OK. So, no progress yet. I guess I will have to wait for the XBMC/Boxee update that "solves" the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] No 5.1 sound with XBMC & Apple TV0