Strange make error
I'm getting some very strange results from make when I try to build XBMC manually from source. I'm using revision 17047 (I had this same problem with previous revisions too, I've been trying for about 4 or 5 days now) on CentOS x86_64 with a dual core and 1 GB of RAM. I don't think it makes a difference just for compiling, but all this is running within a virtual machine. I know CentOS isn't officially supported, but I've seen reports of people getting it to work so I was hoping somebody out there might be able to help me.

Basically, my problem is that make doesn't error out, but it doesn't complete either. In fact, it will run indefinitely. I let it run for 9 hours the other day and it never finished. It compiles a whole bunch of targets for the first 15 or 20 minutes, and then it looks like it's running configure again. It'll display a whole bunch of "checking..." statements over and over. It then loops on that checking part for as long as I'll let it run. Eventually, I have to cancel it with Ctrl-C because it's not getting anywhere. I tried doing "make install" after that to see if it was just having some weird behaviors after a successful completion, but no such luck. It can't find a file and dies, so I'm assuming that the make hasn't actually finished compiling some targets. I tried a make distclean to start over, but that also does the checking loop. I thought maybe I'd messed up the code somehow so I completely deleted the entire directory and redownloaded the whole thing, but I have the same result. I'm completely stumped.

I've saved the entire output from make here: http://rafb.net/p/p77pk011.html

Really it's just the bottom couple hundred lines that are where you see the issue, but I didn't know what other information would be useful so I just kept it all together.

If anybody needs me to post anything else, I'll happily do so. I hunted for the debug log, but I couldn't find it (/var/tmp/$USER-xbmc.log). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forums.

CentOS, yuck! Reading the output is often a good place to find potential problems...
Quote:/root/xbmc/XBMC/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Codecs/libdvdnav/missing: line 52: automake-1.10: command not found
WARNING: `automake-1.10' is missing on your system. You should only need it if
you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or `configure.ac'.
You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.
Grab them from any GNU archive site.
cd . && /bin/sh /root/xbmc/XBMC/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Codecs/libdvdnav/missing --run autoconf
aclocal.m4:17: error: this file was generated for autoconf 2.61.
You have another version of autoconf. If you want to use that,
you should regenerate the build system entirely.
aclocal.m4:17: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63
WARNING: `autoconf' is probably too old. You should only need it if
you modified `configure.ac'. You might want to install the
`Autoconf' and `GNU m4' packages. Grab them from any GNU
archive site.
Try running "autoreconf -i" in the libdvdnav dir. If that doesn't work try installing all the crap that message claims you need.
First, thanks for the assistance. I'll give that command a try when I get home from work a little later.

Second, I read through that warning message and it only says those warnings are an issue if I'm using automake. Maybe I'm completely missing something (I'm far from an expert on this stuff, so bear with me), but I didn't think make and automake were the same thing. Am I wrong? I ignored that message since I didn't think i was using automake. I'll try installing it later and see if it helps at all though. Again, thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange make error0