Nuubee question - ref do graphics card need drivers?
Big Grin 
I have the following question, I am about to do a LIVEXBMC install on my old PC on to my old HDD.
I am going to be buying an expensive 1050P graphics card for it as well as a digital sound card - my question is, how do i install the required drivers for a ATI Radeon 1gb graphics card?
I assume that XBMC doesnt have these drivers... so, i am at a loss as to how its done. I have seen many videos showing the vertues of XBMC LIVE.

which is better XBMC LIVE on a PC or PC with XP-sp3 running XBMC??

i want to replace my XBMC-XBOX ;-)

Dont flame me please, i am just learning. I want to know what i am doing before i buy the graphics card etc.

Ta Keps
cant believe no one wanted to reply and help me :-( - everybody is a noob once
I don't have any experience using the live version, but you say you are planning on using XBMC live on an old machine with a new graphics card and audio card...

Note that XBMC does not support GPU acceleration, therefore all processing is handled via the CPU, so you need a decent CPU to get HD playback (i.e. a decent Core 2 Duo, there are threads on recommended CPUs in the linux forum).

Also, linux (which the live version is based on) does not support ATI cards very well and has much better support for Nvidia cards.

Just keep in mind that as of now (things can change) you will be better off spending your money on a better CPU and getting an average graphics card... no need to get an "expensive 1050P graphics card".
Ubuntu 8.10, Intel C2D E8400 @ 3GHz (stock), GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H (nvidia 630i/7100) HDMI, On Board Video, 2Gig RAM, Generic MCE USB receiver
----------------------
And if you do get a new graphics card it will come with a driver disk which will need to be installed to get the best out of itSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
kepners Wrote:my question is, how do i install the required drivers for a ATI Radeon 1gb graphics card?

When you open the package, look for a round shiny thing. Put that in your computer's cup holder and wait for something to happen.

(Sorry, couldn't resist! Big Grin)
kepners Wrote:... I am going to be buying an expensive 1050P graphics card for it as well as a digital sound card - my question is, how do i install the required drivers for a ATI Radeon 1gb graphics card?
I assume that XBMC doesnt have these drivers... so, i am at a loss as to how its done. I have seen many videos showing the vertues of XBMC LIVE. ...

ATI and linux is abit of a hurdle, XBMC Live bundle drivers for ATI so the idea is that it *should* work but most linux users / linux devs use either Nvidia or Intel as they have much much better drivers for linux.
To answer your question, on XBMC Live you just pop the XBMC Live CD in and it will work, that is the idea atleast Wink

If you haven´t bought the card yet I would recomend you to a nvidia card instead, way better supported if you want to run XBMC Live.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nuubee question - ref do graphics card need drivers?0