No navigation sounds over HDMI / SPDIF Digital Pass-through?
Question 
I'm running my audio through hdmi, which means that I've lost navigation sounds. I'm assuming that this is because they're analog, but is there any to way pass them over the hdmi? My concern is that I'd like to be able to play FretsOnFire using Launcher, but with no sound, it's kind of pointless. Is my only option to run an s/pdif cable? That would seem a shame, since I went to a fair amount of trouble to get audio over hdmi working in the first place.
did you set the hdmi as passthrough in audio settings?
succo Wrote:did you set the hdmi as passthrough in audio settings?

Yep.
When we have passthrough device we dont push through navigational sounds

So my guess is you should not use digital device and set instead of default to plughw:0,3 in audiosettings.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Okay now I am confused. On the ASUS board I have setup for HDMI audio I *DO* get NAV sounds and 51 stereo but do NOT get 2 channel stereo sound from say MP3 playback.

So, it IS possible and I'm doing the nav sounds but umm would like to have stereo playback! I'm upgrading my system using this same board so I will soon be knee deep in this on my system and I would like it all...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Well, if I use topfs2's advice I get... no sound. So I'm not really sure where to go from here.
Im not dead sure on the device numbering Wink my HDMI is hw0,3 but its not working in any app (alsa bug)

aplay -l should show the numbering.

Also make sure aplay -Dplughwx,y -vv sample.wav does work aswell

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Yes, my hdmi is also device 3. However, that command doesn't seem to work. I'm getting:
Code:
htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ aplay -Dplughw0,3 -vv sample.wav
ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM plughw0,3
aplay: main:590: audio open error: No such file or directory
Do you have "sample.wav" file ?
fasteddy Wrote:Yes, my hdmi is also device 3. However, that command doesn't seem to work. I'm getting:
Code:
htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ aplay -Dplughw0,3 -vv sample.wav
ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM plughw0,3
aplay: main:590: audio open error: No such file or directory

Crap, sorry Smile plughw:0,3 instead of plughw0,3

Well, that does indeed work, and if I set my audio in xbmc to plughw:0,3 my videos will play. But I still don't get navigation sounds. Interestingly, however, my music plays just fine now. I was getting slightly fast playback as reported here, but this has solved that without making any changes to advancedsettings.xml.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No navigation sounds over HDMI / SPDIF Digital Pass-through?0