Bad Image quality
Hi all, first post here.

Just got xbmc and may I congratulate the developers on what appears to be the answer to my dreams.

But, image quality in my instance is very poor, (see jpg attached), sound is fine.

Previously I have been using VLC and media player classic with excellent results, so I am hoping this is just a need to tweak something or download some more codecs or something.

Any help gratefully received

Ah, cant post a pic yet, so description is:
image is all there, colour is washed oud almost Black and white, there is a ghosting of the image in a transparent red colour and the bottom and right side of the image has image breakdown going about 10mm into the picture.

I have tried playing with various settings, that make it worse and have had a look through the forum and manual, but nothing has leapt out and slapped me in the face as yet.

ADD] I have AMD dual core and an ASUS m2a-vm hdmi Graphic integrated motherboard if thats any help to anyone
See the stickies regarding the ATI rectangle hack required.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:See the stickies regarding the ATI rectangle hack required.

Thanks for that, now I just need this translated into english for me (I have fairly basic 'puter skill's)

Where is this advancedsettings.xml ?

Quote:ATI Hack
Problems with ghosting or videos which are only played back in the left upper quarter (see screenshot)?
Put the following in your advancedsettings.xml
Code:

<advancedsettings>
<glrectanglehack>yes</glrectanglehack>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks
We have an online manual - try that.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:We have an online manual - try that.

Thanks again, I have spent most of the day trying to get my head around it as, like I said previously,
Quote: (I have fairly basic 'puter skill's)

From the manual

Quote:"advancedsettings.xml" is useful for advanced/expert users and for installers.

This is not me

Any more help gratefully accepted

Thanks
Couldn't bother to read just one more line, eh? It's even bold and everything. You already read past the path (assuming you read the sentence or two before the one you quoted).
althekiller Wrote:Couldn't bother to read just one more line, eh? It's even bold and everything. You already read past the path (assuming you read the sentence or two before the one you quoted).

Friendly bunch here heyRolleyes

The next few lines say
Quote: NOTE! This file will not exist unless created by the end-user, meaning YOU!

The XBMC software will never write to this file, so any settings you define will not be overwritten by any XBMC GUI settings.
So you can only edit this file manually on your computer, via a text-editor (like Notepad in Windows or a XML-editor).
All the settings available outside of the GUI are documented on this page.

NOTE: This file is CaSe SeNsItIvE, so make sure you use all lower-case tags or they will not be read properly by XBMC.

Means very little to me apart from letting me know that I am out of my depth which is why I am asking for help, not snide comment.

So what are you saying?

As I'm not as smart as you playing with computers, tough titties, no help allowed?

This is the help and support section isnt it? checks,.................. yes it is
You know what the file is called, and you know the contents, so I presume you've got that far. You also know where it should go:

Quote:The "advancedsettings.xml" file, which does not exist by default, may be created by a user in their "\UserData\" folder.

I presume, then, that all you're missing is "where is my userdata folder". May I suggest you ask _specific_ questions in future, to save any hassles. Whether you know a little or a lot about anything, the most important thing to remember when asking for help is to be clear. After all, folk help you out of their own time.

The answer to that question depends on your platform. On XP it's in C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\XBMC\Userdata.

On Vista it's C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\

Cheers,
Jonathan

Kirk Wrote:Friendly bunch here heyRolleyes

The next few lines say

Means very little to me apart from letting me know that I am out of my depth which is why I am asking for help, not snide comment.

So what are you saying?

As I'm not as smart as you playing with computers, tough titties, no help allowed?

This is the help and support section isnt it? checks,.................. yes it is
Here you go mate have created an advanced settings.xml with the line inserted that you needed not sure if it will work but at least i have had a go.
Download it here http://www.mediafire.com/?row020ygcgj
If it makes you feel any better i don't know much about this .xml stuff and i have just read the same article and even i found difficult.
no doubt someone will call me thick for that which is not the case i just do not do all that codeing stuff.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
what is this ? windows 101 ? Paul appreciate your work and so should the user, but really, if people cant/wont create a file....and/or READ
*sigh*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bad Image quality0