Kaleidescape skin & GUI replica/clone (some skinning engine enhancements needed too?)
Whats the status of this project. Have you given up on it?

Mpegman Wrote:xbmc developers,

i know this idea has been somewhat discussed already. but i thought i'd add a spin to it.

would it be that hard to made xbmc have all of the features of the high-end (and very expensive) kaleidescape server? http://www.kaleidescape.com/

if you're not familiar with this server, check it out!

so basically, here's what i'm suggesting:
*1. build in a "ripping" function for dvd movies. the ripper should be a simple, user-friendly feature. it should allow you to rip by chapter, file, or whole move (with or without special features). also, if the user selected "whole movie", they should be able to select whether to make the decrypted files into one vob file, or keep it split up.
*2. the resulting file(s) should be placed either on an smb share, or on the local drive.
*3. it would be great to have the imdb info for each movie/clip. thumbnail, title, director, actors, etc.

please let me know if you guys are interested in this feature. if you either can't or don't want to implement this feature, is it possible for me to write a module to implement this feature for xbmc myself (i have the xdk)? i have several friends who would be willing to help program this as well.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

mpegman
Status please....
Anyone... ?
Bueller?
Lightbulb 
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=24125
MacGyver Wrote:I don't really have much time anymore to work on anything.

I'll have some leave sometime in the future, so I might get bored out of my mind and work on it myself, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Smile

It should be a lot easier now, they have put so many great options in the skinning engine now, that you can make just about anything you can think of.
I am sure that if you send a PM or e-mail to MacGyver and ask then he will upload the latest version of this skin 'as is' to the XBMC Skinning Project SVN, that way you or someone can pick up where he left of and continue working on this skin.

Confused
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I really like this system but it can cost in the tens of thousands. What's awesome about xbmc with the different skins you can get the same interactive experience that the Kaleidescape dvd player offers and at a fraction of the cost.

I would love a system that can play up to 1080p media and comes all included in one box with massive storage and using xbmc. All sitting under my TV. Is there anything like this you know of?

I have seen that new drobo 4TB drive which is awesome but again it needs to be connected to a PC. I want something sleek that can be added to that and sit under the TV like Kaleidescape except at the fraction of the cost. You know of anything?

Many thanks in advance

P.S Would you say the best skin for xbmc is the Kaleidescape skin?
Do I know of something that's small and has XBMC running? Yeah, an HTPC with a small case.

Wink

I bet it's even better than the Kaleidescape DVD Player.
Information 
Hey everyone,

I might be able to help here. My family has two Kaleidescape systems. So I can record how the menus work and upload them. It's a pretty slick system for sure. So basically, this is how it works (i'll record it to show you as well) but you move around the movie icons up, left, down, right and just wait for a second on a movie and it brings up the blue bar you see with the title and description. No button pressed so far, just a timing feature. Also, when that happens, an animation starts. It brings "like" movies around the movie you are hovered on. So if you were to stop on "Toy Story" it would bring other PG , "Family" movies around it. If you stop on "Taken", it then moves other "Thriller" type of movies around it by genre. Pretty cool!

This would be amazing in XBMC. I would love to see it. There are other menu's of course for searching etc. but this is the main feature of it.
push

i was at a friend last week, and he owns a kaleidescape system. 
The Skin is awesome .. it´s just perfect, so i tried to use skins on my shieldtv with kodi 17.6, but i didn´t even come close. 

So therefore my question: are there any equal skins?? or skins, that go in that direction.

greets
TBH, i don't really like the kaleidescape GUI for multiple reasons, but if you are looking for a similar clean modern fullscreen Wall View (3x9 and 2x7), have a look at this skin:

Thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=242892 (ignore the screenshots - they are very old!)
Download: https://github.com/axbmcuser/_repo/raw/m...mcuser.zip

If you don't use mouse controls, the fullscreen Wall View even looks better when you disable mouse controls in KODI settings. Then the buttons on the bottom right of the screen disappear. Give it a try! Feedback welcome. :-)
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
This is the closest I got to a Kaleidescape view in Kodi...

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2873767
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
Great work. Must have been a hell of a skinning work for this one. ^^
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
@manfeed 

Just wondering: Your showcase videos like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brw15QBaVs
have been done in 4K or similar and then been downsampled to 1080p, right? Or did you use some FXAA Post Process AA in your video editor?

it's kind of irritating to see such a skin video without any of the typical general aliasing issues of the KODI GUI while using rotatey etc.
(2019-08-12, 18:18)axbmcuser Wrote: @manfeed 

Just wondering: Your showcase videos like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brw15QBaVs
have been done in 4K or similar and then been downsampled to 1080p, right? Or did you use some FXAA Post Process AA in your video editor?

it's kind of irritating to see such a skin video without any of the typical general aliasing issues of the KODI GUI while using rotatey etc.
Not sure what you mean... Huh  so I will explain how I record them... My screen resolution is 3840 x 2160 (4K), also in Kodi GUI (I'm in Windows 10, Core i7, Nvidia 960, 16 gb RAM). When I want to record a video, I use the Nvidia Geforce Experience software to record the screen, there I select 1920 x 1080 - 60 fps, then I open Kodi and use the keys shortcuts to manually start and stop the recording. After that I just upload the file to Youtube.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kaleidescape skin & GUI replica/clone (some skinning engine enhancements needed too?)0