XBMC with DVD Profiler
Just a simple question I hope.

Is there a way to import your DVD/BLUERAY collection from DVD Profiler into XBMC and then just be able to click on the cover art or title and have the movie play?

This will of course have window, XBMC, and DVD Profiler all on the same computer.

The files will also be on a local drive.
p|cky Wrote:Just a simple question I hope.

Is there a way to import your DVD/BLUERAY collection from DVD Profiler into XBMC and then just be able to click on the cover art or title and have the movie play?

This will of course have window, XBMC, and DVD Profiler all on the same computer.

The files will also be on a local drive.

I personally haven't used DVD profiler, but if it can export the moviedata to an XML file, there's a possibility that XBMC could import it via the "Import library" option under the video settings menu.

Another option would be to run your collection through Movie Info Plus.
I imported the XML file into the library but I still do not see the list in the program. Am I missing another step?

Sorry for the newb questions but thats what I am.
p|cky Wrote:I imported the XML file into the library but I still do not see the list in the program. Am I missing another step?

Sorry for the newb questions but thats what I am.

First, check out the WIKI for a lot of information on the basic usage about XBMC.

Read this, especially the section regarding the "set content" feature. This is how you tell XBMC to scan your files and sort them into the library.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Videos_Navig...ntext_Menu

Also read about library mode.

If your XML file didn't import, then odds are that it's not compatible with what XBMC needs for it's library. What you can do is post the contents of that file to pastebin.com and put the link to the resulting page here. Then myself and others can look at it and maybe figure out a way to make it work with XBMC.
This has been fun. My collection is over 1200 movies and the XML file was over 15 megs.

I deleted everything down to 10 movies. The XML file is posted at the following link.

DELETED

If you could take a quick look I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Yeeeeeahhhh...it would take a LOT of work to make that xml file compatible with XBMC. I mean...a lot of work. For starters, the path saved by your program is just a path to the root movie folder.

But, just for the heck of it, I went through one entry for a movie and noted what needed to be changed in order for XBMC to even begin to try and use the info.

Lines with // in front of them need to be deleted. Information enclosed like !! text !! is a note on how the tag would need to be changed to match what XBMC is looking for.

In addition to all of these changes, it would be necessary to insert the path and filename of the specific movie in question.

http://pastebin.com/m7c14bc5

Basically, I wouldn't say it's impossible. But it would take a very talented programmer to write a program to do all of this automatically. And doing it by hand on a large collection...well...let's say you'd need a lot of free time.

My suggestion is to run it through Movie Info Plus, and then scan with XBMC.
Ok, I am starting to get a feel for what is needed.

I am looking for a guide now on the XML format.

<videodb>
<movie> Movie title
<plot> plot
<actors>
<Directors>

</videodb>

That is a very basic idea of what I am looking for. With this information I could write a file to convert the DVD profiler XML to a usable format.

I think this could be a fun project for me.
Here's an example of a few moves as exported by XBMC. There are actually quite a few fields that can be added.

http://pastebin.com/m47cf2091
Thanks, that get me started.

One more question. All my movies are in DVD format so do you know what file extension to use in the file path to start the movie?
p|cky Wrote:thanks, that get me started.

One more question. All my movies are in dvd format so do you know what file extension to use in the file path to start the movie?

video_ts.ifo
With all the information you have givin me I can make this work.

Now to just decide what field I want to have in the library.
I am trying to get a simple XML file to function.

The title and plot are working.
I can start the movie with a double click.
I can not get the picture to show up. All i Get is the cam corderr picture.

Here is the text I am using. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

- <videodb>
- <movie>
<title>12 Monkeys</title>
<year>1999</year>
<plot>A lone time traveler from the year 2035 must solve a riddle that may save his people....but it may take him to the brink of madness. Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe and Brad Pitt star in this brilliant sci-fi masterpiece from Terry Gilliam, the acclaimed director of 'The Fisher King'. After the world's population is devastated by a killer virus, survivors must live in the dank underground communities. Cole (Willis) "volunteers" to travel into the past to obtain a pure virus sample, thereby helping scientists develop a cure. Along the way, he crosses paths with a beautiful psychiatrist (Stowe) and a one-card-short-of-a-full-deck mental patient (Pitt). But the race is on, as Cole searches for The Army Of The 12 Monkeys, a radical group linked to the deadly disease. With unforgettable performances and imaginative special effects, '12 Monkeys' is a modern-day classic laced with Gilliam's trademark wit and dazzling visual style.</plot>
<runtime>130 min</runtime>
<thumb>c:/documents and settings/lstiles.interfacesys/my documents/dvd profiler/databases/default/images/025192046223f.jpg</thumb>
<fanart url="c:/documents and settings/lstiles.interfacesys/my documents/dvd profiler/databases/default/images/025192046223f.jpg" />
<mpaa>Rated R</mpaa>
<file />
<path>c:/movies/1/video_ts/</path>
<filenameandpath>c:/movies/1/video_ts/video_ts.ifo</filenameandpath>
<id>1</id>
<genre>Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller</genre>
</movie>
</videodb>

Thanks
Does anyone have any suggestions here?
I used to use DVD profiler (and still do to an extent), but it is easier just to have XBMC scan the folder for the movies and make its own database.
p|cky Wrote:I am trying to get a simple XML file to function.

The title and plot are working.
I can start the movie with a double click.
I can not get the picture to show up. All i Get is the cam corderr picture.

Here is the text I am using. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

- <videodb>
- <movie>
<title>12 Monkeys</title>
<year>1999</year>
<plot>A lone time traveler from the year 2035 must solve a riddle that may save his people....but it may take him to the brink of madness. Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe and Brad Pitt star in this brilliant sci-fi masterpiece from Terry Gilliam, the acclaimed director of 'The Fisher King'. After the world's population is devastated by a killer virus, survivors must live in the dank underground communities. Cole (Willis) "volunteers" to travel into the past to obtain a pure virus sample, thereby helping scientists develop a cure. Along the way, he crosses paths with a beautiful psychiatrist (Stowe) and a one-card-short-of-a-full-deck mental patient (Pitt). But the race is on, as Cole searches for The Army Of The 12 Monkeys, a radical group linked to the deadly disease. With unforgettable performances and imaginative special effects, '12 Monkeys' is a modern-day classic laced with Gilliam's trademark wit and dazzling visual style.</plot>
<runtime>130 min</runtime>
<thumb>c:/documents and settings/lstiles.interfacesys/my documents/dvd profiler/databases/default/images/025192046223f.jpg</thumb>
<fanart url="c:/documents and settings/lstiles.interfacesys/my documents/dvd profiler/databases/default/images/025192046223f.jpg" />
<mpaa>Rated R</mpaa>
<file />
<path>c:/movies/1/video_ts/</path>
<filenameandpath>c:/movies/1/video_ts/video_ts.ifo</filenameandpath>
<id>1</id>
<genre>Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller</genre>
</movie>
</videodb>

Thanks

I looked in the file generated for my library, and I didn't see ANY examples of where XBMC saved anything in the <thumb> section, so I'm not sure what it's looking for.

This is just a guess...try putting the thumbnail and fanart images into a folder without the long filename. Make C:\pics\ put a copy of "025192046223f.jpg" in it, and then tell try the path of "C:\pics\025192046223f.jpg". It might be hanging up on the spaces in the current path you're trying...

If that doesn't work, you could also rename C:\pics\025192046223f.jpg" to "C:\pics\025192046223f.TBN" TBN is the extension XBMC uses for thumbnail images. It's still the same picture, just renamed.

Also, you have the same image set for the thumbnail AND fanart. The fanart image is typically either 1280x720 or 1920x1080, and is not the same as the DVD cover picture.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with DVD Profiler0