XBMC or MP for me?
I am posting on this forum and the other to get people’s input on whether XBMC or MediaPortal is better suited for what I want to do. At this point I have tested neither, but have experience with the MCE XP setups that I use regularly as define below. I realize MP and XBMC are friendly cousins.

Thank you in advance for your constructive input.

I like the following functionality:

• Watch ripped movies on HTPC as well as stream to Xbox 360. Currently I can’t do the latter using VOB files. I also want to be able to automate movie management.
• Watch Internet TV (not doing it currently but have dabbled and see the attraction).
• Watch and Record TV, preferably with reliable commercial skip and
• Listen to music collection with optional visualizer and album art functions. I use it in a multi zone arrangement with non-line of sight RF Remote Control.

My systems:
HTPC 1 = Gateway GT5018E
• Added video card = Nvidia 6600 PC Express (GV-NX66256DP)
• TV = Zenith 50” Plasma HDTV
• Monitor = ACER 22” LCD (16:9) – set to clone at this time.
• Harmony 890 Pro for IR and RF remote control
• X-10 for lighting and audio zone control (using PUM01 universal modules)
• Analog tuner (mostly obsolete)

HTPC 2 = Homemade
• MoBo = Gigabyte K8NF-9 Socket-939 nForce4
• CPU = AMD X2 3800
• Memory = 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel PC3200 DDR 32x8
• Video = MSI NX6200TC-TD64ES (no fan)
• Hard Drives;
• Western Digital SATA 250GB, 16M Cache – WD2500KS
• Western Digital SATA 500GB, 16M Cache – WD5000AAKS
• Western Digital SATA 1TB, 16M Cache – WD10EACS
• Case = SilverStone SST-LC03-Black ATX case
• Power Supply = Seasonic S12-Rev2 SLi 600 W - 600HT-F3BLR (quite)
• Analog tuner (mostly obsolete)
• Monitor #1 = Gateway 17” LCD (4:3)
• Monitor #2 = Cornea 17” LCD (4:3) – set to Dualview at this time (plan to move to a HD projector on day)
• No Remote yet – probably will use iPod Touch and USB-UIRT since it seems likely to be a cheaper RF solution with other uses, as compared to the Harmony 890 Pro. I have played with IntelliPhone and this seems close but I would need custom buttons and Apple’s approval before I’d buy a iPod Touch or iPhone for my own use.

Software:
• MCE XP – Like it but biggest complaint; Will not stream VOB files to XBOX 360 (grrrr) which is stopping me from buying a couple more XBOX 360s.
• MyMovies 2.3– Love it – would like to automate the movie management and view VOBs on XBOX 360.
• iTunes w G-force visualizer – Like it but sometimes difficult to automate since not native MS.
• Intelliremote – Greatest program ever at a reasonable price – Used to customize remote control functionality.
• DVDFab Platinum Mobile 5.0.8.5 – Hasn’t let me down but sure seems slow in some cases.
To be honest I don't think either do "all" what you would like
MP forum notes XBMC will not do recorderd TV, but if I understand things correctly, this is being worked on.

Does it have a MyMovies-like function? Comparable, better?

Will is stream VOB files to a XBOX 360 (extender)?
1. Being worked on - no ETA (probably months away)
2. Better (but I haven't seen this mythical "My Movies").
3. Yes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC or MP for me?0