• 2(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
megacrypto Wrote:[quote=l.capriotti]
Code:
startx -- -br

Im sorry, but i dont understand this part? where is that edited? (and kindly could u give me full path - i really dont know anything about the dir structure in linux - trying my best to learn as fast as i can) Huh I know this should hide the 'x' that shows up for like 2 seconds when xbmc boots up (which would be nice to remove if possible) .. did i understand it right?

Sound is back, but i discovered that i only have center and rear L&R working. both front speakers are not working. I have creative SB 5.1 Live which is using SigmaTel STAC9708,11 chip (according to the alsamixer). What can I do for this?

Another thing, is there a way to hide all the echoed stuff that shows during booting up?

The X does not get removed that is Xserver loading what this change does is give you black screen behind the X instead of the normal Grey dithered X window that you will get waiting for xbmc to start.

Dave
ok thanks, i already have a black screen (or it looks black to me)

what about the IMDB for content info? is there something missing there or am i doing something wrong?
megacrypto Wrote:ok thanks, i already have a black screen (or it looks black to me)

what about the IMDB for content info? is there something missing there or am i doing something wrong?

IMDB scraping was removed from XBMC in the SVN about a week ago. IMDB doesn't give permission to scrape their site and XBMC is now honoring that.

It's not good news, but I feel they made the right decision.
xanadu1979 Wrote:IMDB scraping was removed from XBMC in the SVN about a week ago. IMDB doesn't give permission to scrape their site and XBMC is now honoring that.

It's not good news, but I feel they made the right decision.

thats very very very bad news Sad
megacrypto Wrote:thats very very very bad news Sad

if you screen is black then you already had --br in the .bash profile as Olympia appended the changes to the file in the guide.

Dave
Suspend is Not working here. Goes to sleep fine when it wakes up I get about 4 lines of errors very quick so I cannot read them.

Then it opens XBMC and freezes immediately.

Where can I look for ideas.

UPDATE - So it seems to work ok from the remote - pwr press - sleep, pwr - press resume I still get the errors but it allows me to continue on but if I put it to sleep via the shutdown menu and then try to resume from the pwr button it locks up every time.

Thanks,

Dave
Olympia,

Have you tried to build a MythTV backend on this setup yet.

I guess it would just be to dwnld myth and setup the backend and then create the video source in XBMC with local host 127.0.0.1 or the like.

I have not done it this way so any ideas would be great.

is there a sudo apt-get install for myth or do we have to dwnld and build from source.

Thanks,

Dave
megacrypto Wrote:[quote=l.capriotti]
Code:
startx -- -br
Im sorry, but i dont understand this part? where is that edited? (and kindly could u give me full path - i really dont know anything about the dir structure in linux - trying my best to learn as fast as i can) Huh I know this should hide the 'x' that shows up for like 2 seconds when xbmc boots up (which would be nice to remove if possible) .. did i understand it right?

As Dave mentioned, it's already incorporeted into the guide. It's affect the step when you edit the ".bash_profile" file.

megacrypto Wrote:Sound is back, but i discovered that i only have center and rear L&R working. both front speakers are not working. I have creative SB 5.1 Live which is using SigmaTel STAC9708,11 chip (according to the alsamixer). What can I do for this?

I apologize, but don't have any experience with SB Live.
rodercot Wrote:Suspend is Not working here. Goes to sleep fine when it wakes up I get about 4 lines of errors very quick so I cannot read them.

Then it opens XBMC and freezes immediately.

Where can I look for ideas.

UPDATE - So it seems to work ok from the remote - pwr press - sleep, pwr - press resume I still get the errors but it allows me to continue on but if I put it to sleep via the shutdown menu and then try to resume from the pwr button it locks up every time.

Very strange behaviour. Did you rebuild your system based on the guide?
I don't remember which MB do you own...

rodercot Wrote:Olympia,

Have you tried to build a MythTV backend on this setup yet.

No, I even don't have any TV tuner card... Smile
olympia Wrote:Very strange behaviour. Did you rebuild your system based on the guide?
I don't remember which MB do you own...

No, I even don't have any TV tuner card... Smile

Yes complete new build on the P5N7A-VM as per the guide.

Do you see the flashing cursor when resuming and any text lines, from what I can make out the first line is an emask statement, it goes by really quick.

I checked out the xbmc log but it really did not say much other then seeing the button press to suspend.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Do you see the flashing cursor when resuming and any text lines, from what I can make out the first line is an emask statement, it goes by really quick.

Yes, flashing cursor for 2 seconds, than XBMC come back immedietely. There is no text lines for sure. However I don't have any addon card, even not hdd and any DVD drive. I installed XBMC to flash drive.

What do you have on the top of the board?
Any chance you can help me with getting rid of GDM? When i boot XBMC loads but then GDM also starts and i get two x servers: Ttty 7: XBMC tty9: GDM
spozen Wrote:Any chance you can help me with getting rid of GDM? When i boot XBMC loads but then GDM also starts and i get two x servers: Ttty 7: XBMC tty9: GDM

Do you have only one display connected?
Which board and VGA do you have?
At which booting stage this blue window appearing?
ALSA 1.0.19 came out. I modified the script to download and install this version.

If you alread installed everything, in theory you only need to wget the script again and install it to upgrade. Please test it!
I have the P5N7A-VM, using the integrated VGA hooked up to my TV. The window appears when ubuntu launches X first i see XBMC start then this window comes up ruining everything when i answer no to this blue window i get thrown out of tty7 and into Gnome/ubuntu tty9.

Confusing?

Edit:
About the new Alsa, does this solve my DTS music problem or was this ment to dave?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)10