flustration with latest ubuntu build
Hello guys.

I had everything set with XBMC and hardy heron on my Soundgraph LC16 and it was amazing. Until I upgraded to latest packages of xbmc from ubuntu repository this weekend.

This is my hw specs: mb with Am2 socket, nvidia soundcard on board (disabled), audigy and spdif with pass-through, athlon 64 processor, ATI Radeon 9500 PRO AGP.

Right after upgrade mp3 stopped working, movies with mp3 were without sound. DVDs were playing good. I tried every solution I found to be possibly related. Nothing worked. So I upgraded to intrepid with do-distribution-release. After upgrade sound stopped working at all, I couldn't get it to work even in desktop. Again I was looking for solution and none of the suggestions were helping.

So I reinstalled intrepid x64 and started from scratch. And again, flustration with few issues:

1. fglrx is simply not working with my hardware (and it does with hardy), driver can't be loaded, so only choice is ati open-source driver.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...bug/284408

2. starting XBMC with mediastream skin, movies section is broken, only black screen is presented. starting XBMC with clean config it works. but this means to do whole movie library again.

3. biggest issue - when starting playback of movies, after few seconds of playback and then moving forward/backward or pausing xbmc hangs with annoying repeating sound. similar issue is reported here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=269...stcount=14
I thought that this is due to x64 of intrepid, so I reinstalled everything once again with i686, but same problems occurred again.

Please can anyone help me pointing me in the right direction, this is so flustrating, I just can't do without XBMC ..
Problem #3 is due to pulseaudio. I'm surprised it was not an issue with HArdy. Look in the sticky above for some solutions.

For problem #1 make sure compiz is disabled. If that doesn't work, you can try installing catalyst 8.12 directly from ATis site.
mr_raider Wrote:Problem #3 is due to pulseaudio. I'm surprised it was not an issue with HArdy. Look in the sticky above for some solutions.

For problem #1 make sure compiz is disabled. If that doesn't work, you can try installing catalyst 8.12 directly from ATis site.

Hello mr_raider, thanx for replying.

Problem with audio was solved, after reinstall and killing pulseaudio just before xbmc solved most of the issues, but still sometimes xbmc crashes while playing video.

Problem with fglrx stays, disabling compiz nor using catalysts from ati.com didn't solve the problem. Still not able to load flgrx with modprobe and also aticonfig throws segmentation fault. But I somehow managed to run xbmc with ati open-source driver, there are few glitches (mostly in white areas), but it's usable.

Still got some issues with importing tv series, but hope to solve it while logging.
Go back to Hardy. It's what I did and my system has never performed better. Intrepid and xbmc is not a good combination at the moment
Or you could just build from SVN.

The latest SVN is quite awesome and handles pulseaudio nearly perfectly.
Are you sure you have the latest kernel headers if you're building the driver module yourself?
thank you guys, I just solved problem with tv-series, xbmc log is awesome, very helpful indeed.

On hardy/intrepid issues: my R300 and fglrx is not solvable right now, hardy has problems with lirc and my Soundgraph iMON PAD remote, only works with patch, and didn't find the way to compile it under newer kernel.

I'm about to switch motherboard, nice one with integrated sound, 1000 Ethernet and nvida 7 series gfx. So that should solve my current ati problem. And then I will go for intrepid as there are no issues with lirc and I'll try SVN building and that should solve issues with sound.

Looking forward for awesome XBMC on new silverstonetek LC11 with SSD boot disk and all media on remote NAS server Smile It's going to be legendary Smile I'll post if all goes well (hope it does). Thank you all for your helpful inputs again !
Meh, I wouldn't personally suggest Intrepid for XBMC.
If you can manage on Hardy you're probably better off.

Pulseaudio segfaults for no apparent reason often on Intrepid.
Never had this issue with Hardy even during alpha testing.
hikaricore Wrote:Meh, I wouldn't personally suggest Intrepid for XBMC.
If you can manage on Hardy you're probably better off.

Pulseaudio segfaults for no apparent reason often on Intrepid.
Never had this issue with Hardy even during alpha testing.

Damn, looks like I was happy too soon. Playback is suddenly dead !

my log while starting playback:
http://pastebin.com/m350928d8

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
flustration with latest ubuntu build0