Mythtv
Hey All,

Is there a good guide for setting up MYTH along with xbmc.

All the how to's I read on the myth site has me confused. They seem to point to setting up a complete mythtv build and I am assuming that all we need to use is the backend and mythweb or the db as well if not in the back end.

I am looking for the required files we need to run myth on xbmc for linux 8.10 with xbmc as the front end.

via sudo apt-get install preferably

Thanks,

Dave
You definitely need to install and configure MythTV backend as with any normal MythTV install. You'll almost definitely need the frontend too, at least at first, to ensure the backend is behaving the way you want.

After that, XBMC has built-in support for the myth:// protocol. You just add a video source for myth://localhost

I believe it only has functions for watching live TV and recorded programs so you have to use something else (MythWeb) to manage schedules.

There's also a script called MythBox with looks really promising. Most features are already implemented including commercial skipping. I haven't played with it very much yet because the XBMC player can't handle HD content on my machine properly.
Well I am about ready to go nuts. I have tried and read anything I could to get this to work and no matter what I do. it will not connect to the backend server this way. I am wondering if it is a config issue with myth or soething with the ubuntu 8.10 base install but myth got all it's dependencies when it setup.

I have tried

sudo apt-get install mythtv
sudo apt-get install mythtv-backend

and more ofcourse I purged and autoremoved between uses.

There has to be a way to make this function.

Dave
rodercot,

I have succesfully installed a mythtv backend on xbmc live. Let me know if this would help and i'll post the steps i used.

cheers.
harryzimm Wrote:rodercot,

I have succesfully installed a mythtv backend on xbmc live. Let me know if this would help and i'll post the steps i used.

cheers.

Harry,

If you could that would be awesome, I would just build another machine and run it as headless backend but I have one rcvr in the living room and one in the bedroom and the demarc point that is suppose to be at the rack in the basement is not accessible for new sat feed connections until spring.

So running the backend on the same machine for now is my real only option.

Thanks,

Dave
I hope this helps, it took me ages to get it working the first time.

1. Install mysql and backend software

Code:
sudo apt-get install mysql-server mythtv-backend mythtv-database

It will ask you for a mysql passwd, i left the field blank(It will ask you this question a few times later,just hit enter). Adding a pass caused me some bother.
Then it will ask if you want to enable remote connections, answer yes if you will be connecting to the backend from other computers.
It will then tell you the random passwd,make a copy of this.(Ive never had to use this passwd but better safe than sorry)

2. Add user to mythtv group

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G mythtv USERNAME

Reboot.

3. After reboot close xbmc using the exit xbmc option in the shutdown menu of pm3hd.

Configure mythtv backend

Code:
xinit mythtv-setup

answer ok to both questions then hit close. Reboot, and repeat step 3, this time after answering ok mythtv setup will start.

Edit: Mythtv setup might start the first time, i cant remeber if you have to reboot.

If you want other computers to connect to the backend change both mythbox and master server ip's from 127.0.0.1 to the ip adress of the computer running the backend (in the general section.)

4. Once you have configured the backend and defined your inputs and channels run mythfilldatabase.

Code:
sudo mythfilldatabase

reboot

5. In xbmc go to videos add source myth://Ip of the backend

Hopefully it should connect fine. Keep in mind this guide was only tested using xbmc live.

cheers.
Harry,

Thanks for that, I think I have some remnants of old files in the system from previous tries so I creating a clean system right now, it is just starting to dwnld the release. I will reset up all the toys and try this again.

I needed to do this anyways from all the playing around with svn, lcd, etc so it will be good to start fresh and the Tv card is installed now so hopefully 8.10 will pick it up as well with the install.

Thanks,

Dave
If you're going to do a fresh install anyway, why not install Mythbuntu so it will already be installed and configured?
I've been using XBMC and Myth TV together for over 2 years now. Just moved to a Linux HTPC with XBMC and Myth TV on the same box.

Best option in my opinion is to install Mythbuntu and then install XBMC on top of that. Getting Myth TV up and running and configured is much more difficult than getting XBMC up and running so better to use a distro dedicated to supporting Myth TV.

More details about Myth TV functionality in XBMC at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV.
Harry,

by user name in item 2 I am asumming you mean the user we log onto the system with correct.

Did you use a channel changing script or just setup lirc to pass the codes.

All seems to be going fine I had to go out for a bit but I had dwnlded myth prior to leaving, it actually found the upnp server on my windows machine right away which was a first.

Dave
Well it's working HOHUM, I have channels, I have video and I have sound.

Now I have to read up and get the remote working properly, Get myth to fill the screen, it's letterboxed currently.

I will work on it some more tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mythtv0