XBMC port for Solaris or OpenSolaris UNIX based based operating-system?
Question 
Is there a chance that we will see xbmc for opensolaris?
there is always a chance. get it compiling and send patches
Question 
I've been using XBMC with VDPAU successfully in ubuntu with 185.19, but I'd like to use opensolaris+ZFS since I'm not using MythTV ATM. 180.44 is currently the latest solaris driver available, and I'm wondering if 9.04 requires a driver from the 185 series.
No clue. Feel free to try and report back Smile
I stand corrected --> ftp://download.nvidia.com/solaris/185.19/

Can't wait to try this out Smile
I would love to see this as well. I recently started using opensolaris and overall it's great. It's still missing some stuff but the major stuff is there and it's a pretty easy os to learn if you are familar with Linux or BSD. I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but seeing as i was going to ask the same question i figured it would be better to just reply to this one.

I've had success compiling XBMC from source on linux and cross-compiling it for xbox but all the tools/patches are made freely available. I do not believe i have the skill to tackle something like this. I'd really love to see it happen though, my system running opensolaris has much lower load and seems much more responsive than the same system running Ubuntu. I was running FreeBSD but seeing as there is no 64 bit flash or nvidia driver i thought i'd give Opensolaris a try. Things are smooth, i think this would be a nice platform.
Question 
I'm sure this is a stupid question but what EXACTLY is the dependency list for XBMC? I'd like to get it working on either FreeBSD or OpenSolaris.

my main reason is because i'm in love with ZFS and also my systems tend to run at lower load with either of those os's

thanks for any help.
Im no expert but Solaris does not support OpenGL 3.0 ?
An up-to-date dependency list is more or less given in the README.linux text file available in the SVN:

http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...ADME.linux

XBMC do not rely on OpenGL 3.0 at all. Currently XBMC only requires OpenGL 1.3 with GLSL and ARB Shaders support, which should definitely be supported on BSD at least.
ok, i'm going to TRY getting the dependencies on opensolaris first, if i run into any issues i'll post them here.

thanks again.

and just so you know, opensolaris DOES support opengl 3.0 via the nvidia driver since opensolaris b109 and Nvidia 180.29

i have b111 and Nvidia 180.44
the main reason i originally asked about the needed dependencies is because when i read the readme for linux and the readme for osx i noticed they didn't seem to match up all the way so i assumed that maybe some of the stuff wasn't 100% required.
wonslung Wrote:the main reason i originally asked about the needed dependencies is because when i read the readme for linux and the readme for osx i noticed they didn't seem to match up all the way so i assumed that maybe some of the stuff wasn't 100% required.

up might also check readme.ubuntu, it has more detail about libs than readme.linux
Lightbulb 
Hi guys!
I am trying to compile XBMC under OpenSolaris. I am still trying to get configure happy, but I think I am almost there. The only problems I have so far is getting libcdio and ALSA to work. ALSA seems to be the harder part, so this is my focus right now.
The problem is OpenSolaris has Boomer which is an implementation of the Open Sound System OSS and XBMC does only support ALSA under Linux. There is this compatibility layer for ALSA so that it speaks to OSS, but ALSA won't compile.
Because XBMC supports CoreAudio on the Mac and a Windows Sound lib, there should be a way to write some Code for a new lib. Are there any plans to support OSS or other audio libs?
I don't know how XBMC handles sound, but would it be enough to write equivalents to the few CoreAudio files, I found in the source? It would be great if someone helps me understand the sound system in XBMC Smile
thanks

Tobias
What possible advantage would there be in running a dedicated XBMC installation on OpenSolaris? I can think of none.

Is this really about the fact that you want to add XBMC to your existing OpenSolaris installation? I'm not a fan of mixing desktop and media installations for a simple reason: you cannot have a machine optimized for both. It is cheaper to buy an extremely inexpensive ION computer and use XBMC Live than to put in this much time porting to a (very) fringe OS. Working on a Fedora installation would make some sense but I just don't see an audience for OpenSolaris.
at the end of the day, all that matters is;

do YOU want to invest the time to have xbmc run on a rather fringe platform? cause nobody currently on the team will ever do it. we have enough shit to do as it is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC port for Solaris or OpenSolaris UNIX based based operating-system?0