Configuring Lirc properly in Ubuntu 8.10
I've been tearing my hair out over this for the past few days - I can't find one single source of info or documentation that covers every aspect of Lirc installation. I've finally gotten a hold of the proper lircd.conf for my remote (Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote) but I can't figure out what values to use in the hardware.conf file. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly the values mean, and almost every post seems to focus on the lircd.conf-file, not hardware.conf.

My other remote (a standard HP laptop remote) works, partially. But since only the directional buttons and OK work, I've been trying to fix this.

I installed Lirc using synaptic, and when the configuration window came up I chose Custom for remote because mine wasn't listed. That produced blank lircd.conf and hardware.conf-files. I reinstalled Lirc, this time choosing Windows Media Center Remote or something similar, only so I could get some values in hardware.conf. I then replaced the lircd.conf file with the proper one for my remote. After rebooting, my remote still doesn't work.

The odd thing is that when I first installed XBMC Live (I'm using XBMC for Linux now) the remote worked from the start, albeit only partially. But the essentials were working. Then, whilst I was trying to get the rest to work, it stopped working. I tried reinstalling XBMC Live, to no avail, all the while the HP remote was working (it never has stopped working, however much I've messed with Lirc).

So I'm at a loss here. I've been trying to run irw, hoping to get the remote name so I can configure things myself, bot it won't run. Connection refused it says. When I run sudo /etc/init.d/lircd restart in a separate terminal, and then run irw in another, it simply jumps a row. Any suggestions?
Maybe try selecting one of the MCE configurations for the remote?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuring Lirc properly in Ubuntu 8.100