Is XBMC 'modern enough' to stay competitive with the likes of "Boxee" and others?
@slice

Heh, truth hurts, eh? Let's face it, the majority of us (that's you and me) are good-for-nothing mooches. The difference is that I know enough not to bitch about things unless I were to contribute in some meaningful way. XBMC is an all-volunteer effort, after all. Frankly, what is idiotic is having some yahoo coming in and telling devs to have "high quality plugins with 100% cross-platform compatibility." Well, no shit, Sherlock, everyone wants the best of everything. The trouble is that somebody has to work for it. So, what are you offering, Mr. Civilized Discussion? More hot air?

@rwparris2

It's a stretch to compare a startup with basically some video plugins to the 800-lbs gorilla of social networks, don't you think? Facebook's asset is its large userbase, which was amassed starting with the college pop, at a time when there were no good social networks to serve them. Other people have seen the money Microsoft threw at FB (and AOL at Beebo) and now everybody and his kid sister has a social network up. I'll ask again, does the world need another social network?

Even Facebook/Myspace/Beebo still haven't been able to come up with a reliable way to monetize their asset (userbase). We've all known about FB's privacy stumbles with intrusive ads. According to the link you provided, they are still deep in their necks in the red, and that ain't about to change in this environment.

So yeah, color me unimpressed when some VC fork over 4mil to a fast-talking ent. That's basically chump change, and doesn't change the ultra-long-shot nature of Boxee's chances, who have nothing in their pocket other than some plugins. Sure, there is lots of potential in online video, and bridging that to the idiot-box in the living room. The problem is that everyone already knows about it, from Hulu to AOL to MSN to Sony/Samsung/yada yada, and the competition is fierce to get their solution out first. From strictly an objective (read: if-I-were-to-invest-my-hard-earned-money) POV, Boxee's has gotten slightly better than a snowball's chance in hell. The only way for them to get anywhere is to get married to a deep-pocket suitor, as had happened to FB, Beebo, and Myspace.

If you want a good example of the hurdles Boxee faces, read up on the travails of Tivo. Tivo is about 1000 times better established than Boxee is now--yes, they've gotten a really huge userbase and have gotten their own boxes--but they have never made a profit and are facing insolvency for the same reason I stated: They don't have any leverage to license content, once the cable boys caught up with their own settop boxes. Do you think it would be that hard for the cable/TV/Hulu/Sony peeps to develop the same plugins Boxee has, that they have to license their content to Boxee?

Here is a NYTimes link to Boxee that I posted some time earlier (which was, ahem, somehow misplaced):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/techno...video.html

Edit: Correction on TiVo. They actually made a profit last year, having cut deals with Comcast & Cox, after winning a patent-infringement case against Dish Network (see, IP that you can make money on).
Smile 
rwparris2 Wrote:@ slicemaster: plugin developers (as well as core-xbmc developers) don't necessarily have access to all types of hardware. Looking through your posts, you haven't supplied a single bug report. We depend on users like you to report bugs and platform problems in a useful manner, and until you do so, you have absolutely no right to complain about platform issues. There is an entire forum devoted to python scripts & plugins, use it or don't complain. This is an AWFUL place to bring up problems with plugins, scripts, skins, or whatever it is you feel like complaining about.

First off, I would like to contribute and help the devs out as I run XBMC on a verity of platforms including XBOX, Linux 32-bit, Linux 64-bit, Windows XP Home/Pro 32-bit, and Windows XP Pro x64 edition. I would be happy to file bug reports and help devs pinpoint problems. What exactly are the procedures for filing and documenting a bug report?

Second, contrary to your conclusions about this thread being out of place, this thread was started to talk about things that would help XBMC stay competitive as well as where XBMC is ahead of the curve. The only reason the scripting stuff was brought up more than once was simply due to the fact that I had to clarify certain points. Personally I don’t want this thread to focus on this topic, after all this is supposed to be a generalized discussion. As for what you consider my “bitching”, I was simply trying to point out an issue I was not sure if the devs are aware of; and frankly I would be willing to aid in anyway possible.

Slice

P.S. I don’t want any bitterness to reside here in such a good community. I am well aware that XBMC is a hobby for the devs and I indeed appreciate what they have accomplished, it is indeed an awesome feet. You have been very pleasant in your posting and I certainly have no beef with you or anyone else here. But perhaps it would be best if a mod closed this thread as the hostility of certain users over differences of opinion has certainly risen to an uncomfortable level.
slicemaster Wrote:First off, I would like to contribute and help the devs out as I run XBMC on a verity of platforms including XBOX, Linux 32-bit, Linux 64-bit, Windows XP Home/Pro 32-bit, and Windows XP Pro x64 edition. I would be happy to file bug reports and help devs pinpoint problems. What exactly are the procedures for filing and documenting a bug report?

Find a bug, document how to reproduce it, create a trac ticket with this info.

Make sure you include xbmc version, host version and any other versions that you might think are important. And sample content to reproduce the bug is always helpful. If the bug can be reproduce, it can be squashed.

Posting a followup in the forum section that relates to the bug will also help.
We've cleverly hidden the details of bug submission under the "contribute" tab on our homepage...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC 'modern enough' to stay competitive with the likes of "Boxee" and others?0