Question about XBMC player handling of authenticated URLs
I am interested in writing a script for XBMC that would allow subscribers of MLB.tv to watch Major League Baseball games through XBMC. For more info, see my request here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43660

I am not a programmer and I've never done anything with python, but I want this script bad enough that I'm thinking about giving it a go myself. Ideally, all I would need to do is write a frontend to mlbviewer which is already python and already does the "heavy lifting" in terms of parsing the game schedules and content listings.

Aside from the feeling that I'm way out of my depth, one preliminary question is whether the XBMC internal player would be able to play the stream in the first place. Essentially, mlbviewer presents the user with a game schedule. Once the user selects the game, it logs in with the user's credentials, receives an mms:// stream which is good for (I think) 30 seconds, and passes it to mplayer (or whatever the user defines in the config file). The full URL looks something like this:

Code:
mms://a408.v108697.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/408/10869/v0004/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2008/mlb_!/mlbam/2008/08/10/mlbtv_boscha_800k.wmv?auth=ca.aZbhdeaic5djdFaQaJbkalaSbCckcPbx-bjGsvN-bA-WfkxjKdy-mfm3jfjik7j6jbkmlbl3kfjbkamfjjlamgmdj5jbkcjf&aifp=v0004&ct5=28-Jan-09&ct1=mlb&ct3=8820296&ct7=803372&ct4=mlb&ct6=75.66.27.179&ct8=1

Assuming I could even get this far, would XBMC be able to play a stream like this, or would I end up having to launch an external player anyway? I suppose another option is to have mplayer working in the background to -dumpstream and have XBMC play that file. How does the XBMC player handle seeking beyond the end of the file?

Gosh, I can't do this... No
I think mms:// streams are not working in XBMC
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4522

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about XBMC player handling of authenticated URLs0