Graphics cards vs HD playback article
Star 
Brand new article about graphic cards for HD content, also includes talks about hdmi audio and other things. Exactly how it all relates to building something for a xbmc system i am not really sure, so more research might be needed.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/d...yback.html
TC Big Grin
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
already been mentioned more times than there are religious believers in the world....XBMC DOES NOT SUPPORT HARDWARE DECODING OF HD VIDEO, ONLY CPU BASED....this won't change anything.
@Evanrich

Your snotty reply is annoying. Shockinly enough, just because XBMC doesn't currently support HW accel doesn't mean that all the GPU cards in the world doesn't exist. XBMC is now being used on personal computers, which are general-purpose systems that run other things aside from the app. Sticking your head in the sand and saying "blah blah don't say anything about gfx cards cuz XBMC don't use em" is pretty damn ignorant, not to mention being rude to the OP who took the effort to inform his peers.

FYI, XBMC not being optimized for native platforms is a deficiency, not something to crow about. At some point, it will have to deal with this deficiency, if only because people aren't going to put up with requiring a 3GHz CPU just to run a small settop box.

The article is informative and helpful, if only to let people know that just because a platform (HW accel or not) can display HD media, doesn't mean that it can do it well, that there are QUALITATIVE issues aside from the basic yes-no tests like dropped frame rates. Get a clue, bud.

To the OP, thanks for the post. Xbitlabs has always good tech pieces, even if they don't write them often enough.
TomJensen Wrote:@Evanrich

Your snotty reply is annoying. Shockinly enough, just because XBMC doesn't currently support HW accel doesn't mean that all the GPU cards in the world doesn't exist. XBMC is now being used on personal computers, which are general-purpose systems that run other things aside from the app. Sticking your head in the sand and saying "blah blah don't say anything about gfx cards cuz XBMC don't use em" is pretty damn ignorant, not to mention being rude to the OP who took the effort to inform his peers.

FYI, XBMC not being optimized for native platforms is a deficiency, not something to crow about. At some point, it will have to deal with this deficiency, if only because people aren't going to put up with requiring a 3GHz CPU just to run a small settop box.

The article is informative and helpful, if only to let people know that just because a platform (HW accel or not) can display HD media, doesn't mean that it can do it well, that there are QUALITATIVE issues aside from the basic yes-no tests like dropped frame rates. Get a clue, bud.

To the OP, thanks for the post. Xbitlabs has always good tech pieces, even if they don't write them often enough.

Look.....

When did I ever say GFX Cards didn't matter? I didn't...I just pointed out that they don't do squat for XBMC....I know hardware, hell, I have a 260 SSC edition card in my desktop...I was purely pointing out that as far as XBMC goes, it does no good. Correct me if I'm wrong, which I know you won't be doing since in this case I'm right, but I seriously doubt people come to this forum to look for specs or tips on how to build a gaming PC.....they come for XBMC support and related topics. If this were Neowin.net, tomshardware, anandtech or any other site groovy, but my comment was directed strictly at the fact that GPU acceleration in XBMC has been covered a billion times before, and FYI i was not being snotty.
Evanrich, IMO CPU decoding for H264 contents is temporary until XBMC or mainly ffdshow starts using the GPU.
If you are familiar with the H264 algorithm you'll note how mathematically intensive it is, hundreds and hundreds of matrix multiplications .... these kinds of operations are best suited for multiple parallel processing, hence the GPU.

Trust me, it's a matter of time, because it does not make sense to use 60-70% of a dual core 2.2GHz CPU in order to just watch a 1080p HD movie.

hack... I just finished building my new HTPC and I went with 3GHz dual core because there is no sign of how long it would take for XBMC to start using GPU

But it's coming...
danillll Wrote:hack... I just finished building my new HTPC and I went with 3GHz dual core because there is no sign of how long it would take for XBMC to start using GPU

But it's coming...

good.. I'm intrested on HOW will the system perform with 3.16Ghz Dual core (E8500) running XBMC LIVE, installed to USB2 Stick. Smile HDMI out @ 1920x1080p. An the mkv files comes via Samba from NAS 100Mb/sec LAN.
upstairs i am running an amd fx-55 and ati hd3450

downstairs i am running an intel e8400 and onboard geforce9400

both systems run everything smooth for me

this is for windows xbmc on xp.

TC Big Grin
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
danillll Wrote:Evanrich, IMO CPU decoding for H264 contents is temporary until XBMC or mainly ffdshow starts using the GPU.
If you are familiar with the H264 algorithm you'll note how mathematically intensive it is, hundreds and hundreds of matrix multiplications .... these kinds of operations are best suited for multiple parallel processing, hence the GPU.

Trust me, it's a matter of time, because it does not make sense to use 60-70% of a dual core 2.2GHz CPU in order to just watch a 1080p HD movie.

hack... I just finished building my new HTPC and I went with 3GHz dual core because there is no sign of how long it would take for XBMC to start using GPU

But it's coming...

I'm not an idiot, and I know how intense it is on resources...I also know that for many applications, a GPU can be better for tasks than a CPU...hell look at the new WIFI security cracking software from Elcomsoft...uses the gpu to blast ahead of cpus. I was simply stating that at the current time, as well as near future, xbmc does not use gpu decoding...that is all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Graphics cards vs HD playback article0