• 3(current)
Win HOW-TO start XBMC in fullscreen on secondary monitor with custom resolution
I'm afraid it will show in a window. At least that's what it did the way I tried it yesterday. But I will know and let you know in about 11h when I'm back home.

Meanwhile I will look through the forum if someone else has/had the same problem and maybe came up with a solution.
Well I tried many different resolutions but the highest I can choose is either 1680x1050 (the resolution from my primary monitor) or 1080i 16:9. But all the available resolutions show in windowed mode which just isn't the same as running it in fullscreen.

I also tried the tool xbmcLauncher but it just changed the resolution of my primary screen and everything was a mess.
OK, so I've got XBMC to open onto my second monitor (My HDTV, 1360x768) but that also changes the resolution of my primary monitor to 1360x768. The primary monitor is 1440x900, and this resolution looks terrible. I'd like to be able to have XBMC open on my TV in 1360x768 and at the same time be able to use my PC on my primary monitor at 1440x900. Is this possible, and if so how?
I finally got mine to work after a lot of fiddling around. My setup is as follows:

Primary 20" 1680x1050 Monitor
Secondary 32" 1366x768 HDTV
Windows 7 x64

Installed UltraMon with mentioned fixes to get it working
In system tray, right clicked UltraMon and made a new shortcut
For the app path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2
Window tab - Custom settings, Show: Normal on Monitor 2
Left Display custom settings disabled
Made a link on the desktop
Ran XBMC and went to Settings/Appearance/Screen
Set monitor resolution to 1360x768
Restarted XBMC
Everything works fine... primary screen is still 1680x1050, secondary is fullscreen with no window borders, Aero still works on main screen

Hope that helps someone
I've spent the last day trying to get this to work.. I got everything working.. EXCEPT that there appears to be dropped frames or perhaps a vsync bug.. because although I can get the program to launch on my secondary screen and I can change the resolution in the settings to 1080i 30hz, which is what my tv does... but it doesn't give me the option for 1920x1080 fullscreen. the framerate just isn't smooth.. it's not dropping frames when I hit O to check.. it's like it's not synced up to the refresh rate.. it's a very subtle effect.. it goes away when I change my secondary monitor to primary and run xbmc on it.. I have the same problem with boxee.. I guess my next step is to find a way to make a hot key to switch primary between my two displays

since I can't get this to work I've found a semi-workaround.. if you edit the ultramon shortcut for xbmc and go to the display tab, then set the secondary display to primary and leave "restore settings after application exits" checked.. you can automatically have your secondary display set to primary while xbmc runs.. and I put "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs in the shortcut.. so it works.. and my dinovo mini runs the shortcut when I hit a hotkey.. so it's pretty painless.. although not as good as not having to set my secondary to primary
phoenx97 Wrote:I finally got mine to work after a lot of fiddling around. My setup is as follows:

Windows 7 x64

Restarted XBMC
Everything works fine... primary screen is still 1680x1050, secondary is fullscreen with no window borders, Aero still works on main screen

Hope that helps someone

Thank you for your directions. I am having the same problem. I am running Windows Vista Home Ultimate and the rest of my set up has the same specs as yours except my LCD TV is 46" vice 32". I followed your directions and my monitor is still changing from 1680X1050 to 1360X768. I am also getting a taskbar at the bottom of my LCD TV weras before I was not. Is there a way to disable it? Thank you for answering a N00b question.

Linesma
I have a similar issue, but only involving a single monitor.

I have a 47" Philips HD LCD TV running at 1920 x 1080p.

For normal usage (browsing etc) this is too small and it is difficult to read the screen.

However, I would like XBMC to launch from 1360 x 768 and automatically switch to 1920 x 1080p.

Are there any programs that allow you to change the resolution when launching an application? Changing back after you close would also be useful.

I know some games will drop the resolution, and even when you alt + tab they resize which is exactly the sort of functionality I would like.

Thanks for any assistance.
Ultramon allows one to change the screen resolution upon launching an app, and returning to the original resolution after. One thing I've found w/ XBMC is that you are restricted to resolution ratios the same as the monitor was before launching XBMC. In other words, if you have a 4:3 monitor, the XBMC resolution options are 4:3.

I was originally trying to launch XBMC to monitor #2 with Ultramon, when monitor #1 was rotated vertically. Even though monitor 2 was not rotated, my XMBC resolution options listed were as if it were rotated. I ended up giving up on the dual-monitor setup b/c of all the hassles.
curtis-r Wrote:Ultramon allows one to change the screen resolution upon launching an app, and returning to the original resolution after. One thing I've found w/ XBMC is that you are restricted to resolution ratios the same as the monitor was before launching XBMC. In other words, if you have a 4:3 monitor, the XBMC resolution options are 4:3.

I was originally trying to launch XBMC to monitor #2 with Ultramon, when monitor #1 was rotated vertically. Even though monitor 2 was not rotated, my XBMC resolution options listed were as if it were rotated. I ended up giving up on the dual-monitor setup b/c of all the hassles.

no, with eg Aeon it works, try install Aeon stark and use the latest guidelines i wrote.

btw i use 4:3 on screen #1 and 1080 on my other.
Didn't realize Aeon works differently than Mediastream. Good to know. thanks.
phoenx97 Wrote:I finally got mine to work after a lot of fiddling around. My setup is as follows:

Windows 7 x64

Restarted XBMC

Hope that helps someone

I must be stupid because I've looked over these instructions a hundred times and swear I did it the same way and somehow my main display resolution is still changing. Sad
kakihara1 Wrote:I must be stupid because I've looked over these instructions a hundred times and swear I did it the same way and somehow my main display resolution is still changing. Sad

hi, what os are you running? if xp did u do this?:

1. Get Ultramon
2. Rightclick Ultramon ikon in the bottom right corner of your taskbar.
3. Select Shortcuts then "New shortcut"
4. in "Application, script or document" browse your xbmc.exe, leave the other field "start in" blank, click next.
5. Select "use custom settings", "show" should be set to Normal, change to monitor 2 and check "centered". Click next, then next again.
6. Name your shortcut, place it where you want, press finish.
7. Go into settings on your xbmc skinn, change resolution, restart xbmc.
Well, i'm trying this one for a longe time now, with no success... the thing is, i just cant set my resolution right, i need to "test" my "auto" resolution on XBMC to ajust things, everytime... 1920x1080 isnt even there

i've already tried to start with -fs; with SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2 (my videocard is a intel one); with both; changed the resolution on xbmc settings with admin rights, nothing works, every time xbmc runs with my primary monitor resolution

curious that the XBMC black logo is showed on the primary video, but the GUI is loaded "correctly" on the second one (with the primary resolution, 1280x800, instead of 1920x1080)... looks like XBMC starts on the primary video then got moved to the second one

Primary: Windows Vista Ultimate 15" - 1280x800
Secondary: 47" LCD - 1980x1080
Latest XBMC build
Ultramon 3.0.4

there's any trick that i've missed?
febox-pootz Wrote:Well, i'm trying this one for a longe time now, with no success... the thing is, i just cant set my resolution right, i need to "test" my "auto" resolution on XBMC to ajust things, everytime... 1920x1080 isnt even there

i've already tried to start with -fs; with SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2 (my videocard is a intel one); with both; changed the resolution on xbmc settings with admin rights, nothing works, every time xbmc runs with my primary monitor resolution

curious that the XBMC black logo is showed on the primary video, but the GUI is loaded "correctly" on the second one (with the primary resolution, 1280x800, instead of 1920x1080)... looks like XBMC starts on the primary video then got moved to the second one

Latest XBMC build
Ultramon 3.0.4

Yeah, first of. You will not see 1920x1080 you will see 1080i witch is the same

"1080i is the shorthand name of a format of high-definition video modes. 1080 denotes the number of horizontal scan lines - also known as vertical resolution - and the letter i stands for interlaced. In the alternate format of high-definition video mode, known as 1080p, the p would stand for progressive scan."

Second. After selecting AUTO XBMC will use highest resolution possible on that monitor. When this is done you simply select 1080i so that the settings stick! Big Grin
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
febox-pootz Wrote:Well, i'm trying this one for a longe time now, with no success... the thing is, i just cant set my resolution right, i need to "test" my "auto" resolution on XBMC to ajust things, everytime... 1920x1080 isnt even there

Latest XBMC build
Ultramon 3.0.4

I got the same problem. Read this post so many times but no luck
Maybe it is due to hardware
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO start XBMC in fullscreen on secondary monitor with custom resolution4