one film two dvd's
Hi guys - finally got everything working and even got that app on my iphone happy days!!!! anyho my question (sorry if this has been asked before but i couldnt find it!)

How can you watch a film that comprises two dvd's. For example lord of the rings, each film has two dvds and half way through the film it askes you to change the dvd. Now i intend on ripping all these dvds to my computer. But how do i do it so that XBMC is happily playing the first part then can switch over automatically to the second. Also one other thing - if there are two dvd's to each film will that be represented in the library feature i.e tow identical lord of the ring films but one being disk a and the other b.

I hope i have made sense!!! if not i can clairify!!!

any help would be muy appreciated!!!!
eddtr1 Wrote:Hi guys - finally got everything working and even got that app on my iphone happy days!!!! anyho my question (sorry if this has been asked before but i couldnt find it!)

How can you watch a film that comprises two dvd's. For example lord of the rings, each film has two dvds and half way through the film it askes you to change the dvd. Now i intend on ripping all these dvds to my computer. But how do i do it so that XBMC is happily playing the first part then can switch over automatically to the second. Also one other thing - if there are two dvd's to each film will that be represented in the library feature i.e tow identical lord of the ring films but one being disk a and the other b.

I hope i have made sense!!! if not i can clairify!!!

any help would be muy appreciated!!!!

I am sure there is a more technical answer for this. You have treat stacked files as a single in the video settings it never seems to work for me or maybe I just do not understand how it works.

If I turn that on ie

All 10 Friday the 13th movies become one and I am assuming this is because the name is Friday the 13th Part 1 in the title and Part 2, Part 3 etc and regex does this because it see's Part in the filename.

So what I do is turn off treat stacked files as a single video then when I rip disc 1, disc 2 etc.. I use a variation of the Name

IE Gangs of New York, Gangs of NY

Then when I scrape em, I just assign different cover arts to each movie then in Library mode I find that movie with the proper cover art for disc1 and edit the title to

name of movie D1

and then the next disc

name of movie D2

I have all my 2 part movies done this way and they work just fine.

You can also check out the wiki and on-line manual if you want to go deeper. with the stack and single file etc, I am sure you could edit the regex or create an advancedsettings.xml file to change these actions.

Dave
XBMC will never stack DVD images:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Stacking

Your best bet is to make a playlist (but at the moment I am not even sure XBMC will autoplay the next item in video playlists.. all I know is it handles music and videos a bit differently).
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Playlists
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ic so there is no way to do this at present - i suppose i could rip both dvd's for the one film - for example

lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring - Disc 1
Disc 2

now if i rip both of this discs and then join the file then i could make xbmc see the film as one - thats possbile is it not?
eddtr1 Wrote:ic so there is no way to do this at present - i suppose i could rip both dvd's for the one film - for example

lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring - Disc 1
Disc 2

now if i rip both of this discs and then join the file then i could make xbmc see the film as one - thats possbile is it not?

You probably should read up on regex and what it does with common words in titles to see if you can use that structure. part, disc, trailer etc.. will cause some grief with two part movies and TV shows for that matter.

I ripped Gettysburg last week like that

gettysburg disc1
gettysburg disc2

library found the movie and made it one but would not play it, I just went back and renamed the 2nd rip and got rid of the disc 1 and 2 in the title and updated the library and all was at peace with that. the movie each part plays fine.

Like I said there may be a better way but this works for me and you never see the filename anyhow when in Library Mode you see the Movie's title.

Other option convert to one big .avi or .iso file

Dave

Dave
sho Wrote:XBMC will never stack DVD images:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Stacking

Your best bet is to make a playlist (but at the moment I am not even sure XBMC will autoplay the next item in video playlists.. all I know is it handles music and videos a bit differently).
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Playlists

I'll have to test this tonight. I have my "Pearl Harbor" iso files stacked and they show as one file in the library. I could have sworn it automatically played the next disc, but I could be wrong. If XBMC doesn't permit it just because ISOs may have menus, then shouldn't they change this? People aren't going to label them as stacked files if they ripped them with the menus anyway.
What you can do is rip the ISOs and store them as anything else but DVD images (with menus etc) and name the resulting files according to the default stacking rules set forth in the link above.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
DVD2one can do exactly what you want. I just tried it out on LOTR last night. I'm in the middle of compressing all my DVDs to h.264 and this made my life a lot easier.
Do you want to keep the menus? If not, you could join the movie segments together using vobblanker (free). Once joined a single iso file can be created. Fairly easy.

If you want the menus, you can use DVDremakePro (payware). This has a learning curve, but fairly straight forward once you suss the prog.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
one film two dvd's0