DVD Front Covers Database For Movie Info Plus And Media Companion
Thumbs Up 
Hey guys im thinking of creating a database on my server (http://www.calagregory.net) of just high quality DVD front covers for the programs Movie Info Plus and Media Companion. Now what i need to know is before i start uploading a bunch of them and getting people to contribute i need to know if i do this is there any chance of these programs or people wanting to use it? Also i know there is alot of places where you can download the covers but all i want is a database that has only the front covers in the best quality so for the people that want DVD covers displayed instead of DVD posters. so please post your ideas and opinions here please.

Im thinking of making it available through http://www.calagregory.net/dvdcovers/frontcovers (Leaving myself the option if i ever want to upload back covers, fan art, banners etc)

each file would be named IMDBnumber.jpg

Example: for the movie '102 Dalmatians (2000)' the DVD cover would be called 'tt0211181.jpg' and the location would be 'http://www.calagregory.net/dvdcovers/frontcovers/'.

Picture Example:

READ: If you have front dvd covers on your computer from different software or some you got yourself can you please send them to me. My only request is that you rename the file to the IMDB number easily found on its IMDB page. This makes it alot easier for myself to upload it.

I'm currently building the website and the database but still feel free to send me your files. I have had interest from Fekker to incorporate my DB into MIP so the bigger it is the better it will be for all of us.
Just something to the Mods i don't know if this should be here or in the Scraper Development section, if it has to be moved can someone please do it thanks.
Is there any reason why you wouldn't just contribute to themoviedb? Would there be a benefit to having another site that is just for cover art? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just curious.
cause themoviedb has movie posters and i want just the front covers of DVD's. unless im wrong?
The front covers of most DVDs are almost always one of the posters so I don't see what the difference really is. But, it may just be easier to see if the people over at themoviedb would just add a parameter for people to upload DVD covers too.
sounds alright will contact them but if not ill keep this database idea alive.
smcnally75 Wrote:The front covers of most DVDs are almost always one of the posters so I don't see what the difference really is.

I disagree. I dislike movie posters and only use DVD covers. The posters usually have a lot small print at the bottom along with things like "Coming this April" overlayed onto them. Also, many I see have totally different images on them. I much prefer DVD covers.
I aggree with you about the dvd covers, they are cleaner than the dvd posters but if you use xbmc media companion to scrape your films then you can choose from a wide selection of DVD covers and posters so i really don't see any point to having a dedicated server just for dvd covers it would just make it more complicated than it needs to be in my oppinion...
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
the reason i was doing this is cause i thought MC couldnt pull dvd covers only posters? how do i get it to scrape dvd covers?
Even though Media Companion calls them "Posters" it includes DVD covers. If you select a movie, select "Edit Details", and then use the "Poster Browser" you can select a DVD cover from there.
I agree with you guys. I prefer DVD covers. Less going on and have a better atmosphere in my opinion on movie browsing.

I mostly use nicecovers.com to obtain my art. Huge growing collection of quality dvd covers. Would be nice to just have a scraper for that site. Meedio scrapes that site for covers so it must be capable. Someone should look into it.\

Edit:
Just found out also in Trac there is a request for a scraper
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5582
Ok im willing to do this but it is going to e very time consuming but im willing to do it. I checked out the nicecovers.com but what i found is that they are small images and arnt the best quality. My idea is to have full size best quality covers i can find. Please if you use My Movies and have good quality DVD covers (all i want is the folder.jpg ones not the mymovies-front and mymovies-back pictures) please zip them (and rename them to the movie) and send them to me at aaron AT calagregory DOT net. Ill start tonight and tomorrow but have work on Tuesday.
Just keep in mind the more covers that themoviedb.org and thetvdb.org has the more we all have since the scrapers pull from them. Wink
kizer Wrote:Just keep in mind the more covers that themoviedb.org and thetvdb.org has the more we all have since the scrapers pull from them. Wink

I'm not saying stop using them im just offering an alternative. and as far as im aware they only have posters (well the movies i searched for). I'm just going to offer an alternative database that these programs can search for high quality (if available) covers.
Probably the reason why you could not find any dvd covers for the films you were scrapeing was most
likely because no one has uploaded any. but i use both media infoplus and media companion simply because
it's the only way to be 95% certain of getting everything i need for my movies / TV shows.
But they do have some Dvd covers, it would appear that posters are the prefered default, therefore you might have to re scrape for DVD covers then choose from a list of files(preview is shown) it's a bit of a pain but i have noticed it is getting better as more and more people are uploading to these sites.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD Front Covers Database For Movie Info Plus And Media Companion1