Chapter support in Matroska (MKV) video containers?
any news ?
Hi, I tryed to read the whole post and I doesn't find what I'm looking for. Is there any trac opened to convert mkv chapters into xbmc bookmarks? Because I've seen that chapter seeking is working but not bookmarks.

Cheers!
I'd really like to have a dialog like the bookmarks menu that would present a list of chapter names and allow you to select a chapter to play. I have heaps of blu-ray rips of concerts that have chapter information (includig song names) embedded in the mkv.

Is this a possibility? Should I raise a trac ticket? I noticed a page back that CapnBry said he'd added code to get the currently playing chapter name, so it was up to skinners to use it. Can this be expanded to achieve what I'm asking for?

Thanks
I'm waiting for it too, but it doesn't seem like a major feature for developpers !
But for me, it would be one of the best !
I was playing with it a little and using some workarounds and hacks I managed to insert chapters into bookmarks dialog. I was just checking what will be needed to get it working.

When I'll finish my other stuff I'd like to produce acceptable solution to include this feature to XBMC and so I'd like to ask devs some questions:

Propably not everyone would like to automaticly import chapters into bookmarks. What do You think about using DVD menu button (it would be available if video has chapters) to activate Bookmark Dialog (but filled only with chapters)?

How it should be done? In my solution chapters are retrieved from CDVDffmpegDemuxer (or smth similiarly named) in BookmarkDialog on update (in method that populates the bookmark list). Thumbs are extracted (and cached) there too (I have some glitches with thumb extraction there - I suspect that this can be related to the fact that extractthumb method is opening file again that is already opened (for playback), but I won't try to solve it as I don't want to use this solution anyway).

Few propositions as to where to place chapters info and thumbs extraction code:
  • in videoinfoscanner and insert chapters as bookmark (with new type) to database (users may want to add chapters to MKVs if this feature would be included and this will require to refresh movie info to import chapters - not user friendly IMO). This would also require alteration of database to include chapter name (or using hack and use one of text column: playerState f.e. to store chapter name)
  • when starting video playback (chapters info - in form of bookmark array or vector - could be stored as additional object in VideoInfoTag in FileItem that is returned by g_application.CurrentFileStream() - that is if we can assume that this fileitem is one and the same object from start of playback to end of playback) - this solution won't store any data in database and will allow of adding/removing/editing chapters in mkv videos without losing sync with Chapter Bookmark Dialog in xbmc

Question: is CApplication:TonguelayFile() the main method that handles start of (video) playback?

Possible difficulties:
Handling chapters in stacked files - are there any videos (containing chapter info) splitted to multiple files? If we deal with single video file we could just use inputstream that is created to play file to extract chapter info and thumbs. If video is made from stacked files then we have to open each file, retrieve chapter info and thumbs to build complete chapter info for entire video item.

PS. I wonder if present chapter support - displaying current chapter number/chapter count have some special handling of stacked files or it simply display info from currently played file?

@snoxbox, mika91 and others - could You provide me some sample MKVs with chapters (and maybe other containers that have chapters, if there are any??)? I have only few MKVs with chapters and they seem to be working, but more testing won't hurt.
I'd like to bump and add my support for this. Sounds like it could be close!
Like this support as well
Is something like this implemented yet? Last night i played around with the stock Atv3 iOS and there is this implemented, but with *.m4v and not *.mkv, and I liked it a lot.
Kind of a zombie thread, but this would be a great addition to the program. This would especially be useful for concerts and music videos.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I am not that sure, but i think you can use chapters in mkv by clicking up and down so i think they should be supported
Chapters in mkv containers is supported but support of chapter thumbs and chapter name would be a nice additition.
(2012-05-12, 20:11)ImpreZa Wrote: Chapters in mkv containers is supported but support of chapter thumbs and chapter name would be a nice additition.

This^^^ Smile

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I think i have to resurrct this thread from the dead, any news on this? I would love to have the dvd chapters (or mkv chapters) in the video bookmarks...
I started adding chapters to my mkv's with MKV Chapterizer. It would be really great if I could access the chapters list in XBMC. That capability already exists in vlc and Boxee, but Boxee is a discontinued project.
Definitely thumbs up for This (both naming and thumb)! // timo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chapter support in Matroska (MKV) video containers?1