Chapter support in Matroska (MKV) video containers?
Is there something special that I have to do? I'm playing back a MKV file with x264, AC3 6 channel audio and the chapter splits are in the file as well. I can verify that the file is working because Windows Media Player Classic (part of CCCP) allows me to skip chapters.

When I try it on the Xbox using XBMC Revision 18158 and I press the >>| button on the remote, it simply quits playback and goes back to the browser.

Any ideas?
It's still not working.

See this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=318567

-Wes
I'm running XBMC on Linux and basic Matroska chapter support works, in the form of using the >>| for navigation. However, there doesn't appear to be support for embedded chapter names or durations, or anything like a basic container "menu" to allow the user to know (a) whether the file even has chapters or (b) what and where they are.

Would this require a skin-based remedy or something in XBMC itself?
Probably both actually, although I guess if chapters were implemented as bookmarks old skins would already have the bookmarks dialog etc included already.

ps: I'm not a dev but I'm pretty sure thats accurate.
I've always been a fan of the idea of implementing mkv chapters as part of the bookmark dialog. My understanding, though, is that there just isn't much call for it among the devs, so it's in the "code welcome" stage.
How can bookmarks be created for given media objects? Must it be done through the XBMC interface? Or is there a way to add this to the library directly?

If bookmarks could be defined in an .nfo, it would be trivial to write an app or script that extracted chapter info and wrote it as bookmarks.
Do you guys know if this has been merged into the xbox build yet?

-Wes
theophile Wrote:However, there doesn't appear to be support for embedded chapter names or durations, or anything like a basic container "menu" to allow the user to know (a) whether the file even has chapters or (b) what and where they are.
I added VideoPlayer.ChapterName support almost a year ago, but you're right there's no way to get a list of em or anything.

All mine say "Chapter (whatever)" though, so after adding it I stopped using it. Image

EDIT: waldo22, if it has been merged to Xbox I think it is only in the dvdplayer player core so make sure you're not using the standard mplayer core.
CapnBry

Are you saying that XBMC can report the name of the chapter as long as the skin asks for it? I'm not a dev so I didn't quite understand what you're saying.
Yup that's exactly what I'm saying. In the skin if you put a label with VideoPlayer.ChapterName it will return the name of the currently playing chapter. EDIT: But only the currently playing chapter.
I see, that makes sense. It would probably be most useful in the pause or info screen, but not much help in navigation.

Do you know anything about bookmark creation?
Hi,

I have more than 100 Concerts mkv, with chapters.
Because there are no Chapters Menu OSD, is it possible to convert chapters into bookmarks ?

Thanks
nobody ?
You could use like "mkvextract chapters [filename]" and then use a little shell scripting to set bookmarks in the database for each one. The schema for the videos database is self-describing, you'd just need to convert the hh:nnConfuseds.mmmmmmm format from mkvextract into raw seconds and you're good to go.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CapnBry Wrote:You could use like "mkvextract chapters [filename]" and then use a little shell scripting to set bookmarks in the database for each one. The schema for the videos database is self-describing, you'd just need to convert the hh:nnConfuseds.mmmmmmm format from mkvextract into raw seconds and you're good to go.

Are there any example scripts for doing this kind of direct manipulation of the database? I've got a script that concatenates MKVs and sets chapters (so it's doing the necessary conversions from seconds to hh:mmConfuseds and back again). I just need to figure out a consistent way to set the chapters as bookmarks in the db.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chapter support in Matroska (MKV) video containers?1