Linux noob question for adding skins
I have a minimal HTPC installed and accessing it through SSH. I want to add the Mediastream skin. I've downloaded and extracted it on my local machine but not sure how to copy it over to the skins directory on my HTPC through the SSH shell. How do I do this or is there a better way of adding all the skins?
Use an SCP client to transfer it to your "~/.xbmc/skins" dir. (NOTE the DOT in the path!)
Thanks for the tip. Copied it using scp command in BASH.
The .xbmc/skins directory was empty and Mediastream didn't show up as an option. I had to copy it to /usr/share/xbmc/skins to get it to work.
It'll get overwritten there when you update. What rev are you using, it should work fine from ~/.xbmc.

EDIT: Make sure it's ~/.xbmc/skin/MediaStream not ~/.xbmc/skin/MediaStream/MediaStream
Yeah I had the path correct but it didn't show up as an option. I'm also only seeing PM3 under the /usr/share.... path. This is on a minimal Hardy install using the PPA's.
Does the same hold true for scripts? They must go in /.xbmc and not /usr/share?
Yes anything you add should go in ~/.xbmc. PM3 and PM3HD are default skins which the team maintains and should come with each build.
I copied them all to .xbmc/skins just to be on the safe side. Thank you for your help!
All my skins are in /usr/share/xbmc/skin/

I remember reading somewhere a while back they should go in ~/.xbmc/skin/ but they never showed up for me like atlas1999 so i looked elsewhere for a skins directory which i found at /usr/share/xbmc/skin/ and also noticed the PM3 skin there.

So since then i've always put them in /usr/share/xbmc/skin/

I've just updated to SVN:17480 and everything is fine so not sure why it works for us.

On the other hand all my userdata is used from ~/.xbmc/userdata/ folder - all the databases.db, advancedsettings.xml, sources.xml etc
XBMCLive, Acer REVO R3700, Philips SRM-5100 MCE Remote ~ 7TB unRaid Storage - HP ProLiant MicroServer

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux noob question for adding skins0