Flatten Hierarchy for Videos
i'd like to see a flatten hierarchy-like feature for my videos, where you could, for example, create a directory with the real moviename and then put the files to be played inside. the files inside the directory should be played as a playlist (sorted by name). and then you simply click the directory to play it.
that way you can have a proper moviename such as 'the punisher' as the directoryname, while still maintaining the original filenames of the movie inside the directory.
and also, if the movie is split over several files it will only appear once on the main movie-page.
it would also enable easier imdb-access since you've got the real name on the directory.

also, it would be possible to put subtitles directly in that movies directory, keeping it more organized than having all subs in a particular directory.

i think this is a good feature most people will appreciate, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement since the fundamental feature is already worked out for my apps, just need to add al few extras.
why not putting all your vidz and subs in one dir?rename the vidz and subs to the 'real video name'. then in settings switch 'hide media extensions' on.works great.
why want to use the original filename?

joep
because if you rename the movie's filename to the real moviename you miss out on the info about the release
1. the group that released the flick
2. if it's a dvdrip and so forth.

and also, alot of movies are split up into several files forcing you to use moviename cd1, moviename cd2 and so forth. which will cause the following:
1. you would have to manually use the stack-feature to play both of them, when you would never want to play one of them alone.
2. you would have to manually select the title of the flick when searching on imdb (because the cd2-part will make the searchengine think it might be a sequel.)
3. if there are several files they will appear multiple times on the main video-page, taking up unnecessary space.
4. you would have to imdb one time per file if you'd like both of them to have the same movie-image, and it would appear several times depending on how many parts the film is divided into.
5. you would have to have all files in one directory, making it very unorganized.
6. you would have to maintain subtitles in a separate directory (inconvenient, and unorganized.)

this is in my opinion inferior to what i'm proposing, and it really doesn't have a downside since:
1. the fundamental feature is already there, all the developers would need to do is to modify it a bit.
2. it would become a separate feature you can enable in 'my video'-preferences, so people who dislike it or because of any reason doesn't want to run it does not have to enable it.

i hope this clarified my proposition :-)

best regards /noxious
i think this is a good idea, i've been looking for a feature like that myself. some times i get tired of these "why don't you do _this_ instead ?" when the suggestion clearly is not as convenient as the original proposition.
i have all my movies in one movies folder, but movies that take up multiple divx files or iso's i place in separate folders within the movies folder. i'd like to see the remote control play button play a movie whether it's a single file or a directory. consequently, if i hit "play" when the movie folder was highlighted, play all the movies in sequence.
have you tried pressing the y button on a folder?

(should add all the files in that folder to the playlist - not sure if it starts playing immediately, though).

let us know how it works.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flatten Hierarchy for Videos0