Commence brain picking...
Okay. I've got a bunch of little questions that have been building up. I've tried looking up answers, but my brain is pretty fizzled from spending the past week staring at code for 12 hours at a crack. So much, that I just typed this all once and then closed my browser for no apparent reason.

1. How do I concantenate two info values plus the "\" symbol?

I have skin.string(ArtWeather) and weather.fanartcode, where Artweather is just a stored path to the weather folder.

In addition to concantenation, how do I do basic string operations like stringleft(), stringright(), stringmid(), etc? If there's a WIKI page I missed, you can just point me to that.

If not, what I've got in the back of my mind right now is to get listitem.filename, strip it down to the rightmost three characters, and then compare it to see if it is a specific filetype.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to perform the operations to either strip down the string or compare it. An example would be awesome.

2. Is there a way to set a conditional visibility based on the existence of a specific plugin?

Okay...I spaced out on the rest of what I was going to ask now...crap. Well, I'm going to go eat seeing as how I don't think I've actually done that yet today...maybe I'll remember then...

3. Is there a way to set a control's property based on the property of another control? As in, if I have a button who's width is 70 pixels, can I tell a list to be that button's width? Ideally, I'd want it to be the propertywidth + another value.
Wow...not one reply? Did I ask the wrong question, or is this stuff like common knowledge or something?
Nope - you're just in a different timezone :p Usually one waits 24 hours to give folk from all around the globe some time to read stuff Wink

1. String concatanation is easy - just put 2 of 'em together:

Code:
<texture>$INFO[skin.string(ArtWeather)]\$INFO[weather.fanartcode]</texture>

There is a substring(<string>,<string_to_look_for>) as well, that's essentially the same as strstr. Currently there's no left, mid, or right operators that return the actual string.

2. Not as far as I'm aware. What are you trying to do?

3. Nope. Unfortunately, the changes to do something like that are completely non-trivial (not to mention, it would be tricky to ensure that it doesn't result in an ill-posed skin, or indeed an inconsistent skin, purely in terms of the linear equations that would result.)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Nope - you're just in a different timezone :p Usually one waits 24 hours to give folk from all around the globe some time to read stuff Wink

1. String concatanation is easy - just put 2 of 'em together:

Code:
<texture>$INFO[skin.string(ArtWeather)]\$INFO[weather.fanartcode]</texture>

There is a substring(<string>,<string_to_look_for>) as well, that's essentially the same as strstr. Currently there's no left, mid, or right operators that return the actual string.

2. Not as far as I'm aware. What are you trying to do?

3. Nope. Unfortunately, the changes to do something like that are completely non-trivial (not to mention, it would be tricky to ensure that it doesn't result in an ill-posed skin, or indeed an inconsistent skin, purely in terms of the linear equations that would result.)

Cheers,
Jonathan

1. Substring will work perfectly. I know it's not popular, but do you know the command to invoke the external player offhand? Wink

2. I am trying to implement buttons for the various plugins that people want to use, but do it in a way where they're only visible if that script is installed. I think that the workaround I'm going to use for this is to just allow the user to define their own button title and path to the plugin.

3. Allright. I was just hoping for a way to have totally l<content> driven menus, based on the width of the main button's heading or something like that. Using the grid will do.

Thanks very much for the information. And my impatience...well...sorry bout that. I wake up at 6:30 in the AM because my brain just starts thinking about dynamic listcontents and how in the crap I'm going to concantenate a bunch of strings in an environment I've been playing in for only a week.
1. The externalplayer is called directly from the usual play item interface. It's not designed to be able to be run from any old place.

2. That would be the way to do it, yes.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

The context menu contains a button for "play with externalplayer" or something to that effect. Are you saying that this button can only be called from within the context menu?
Correct.

So, is there any way I could invisibly invoke that context menu, then that button? If not invisibly, then just by plain brute force? If it's the only way, I'd deal with having a menu pop up and then disappear...
Nope.

Bummer. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Commence brain picking...0