Recurring Freeze that I can't recreate
XBMC Revision :17558
Ubuntu 8.10 up to date as of 4/2/09
Installed manually on x86

On various things, exiting from screensaver, refreshing a library or just browsing around the skin (at the moment Mediastream 1.0, but also occurs in PM3HD) I get a total freeze of xbmc (not a crash). The computer does not freeze as I have been running in windowed mode to diagnose it and I can still kill the process and other things. If there is any more information i can provide that would help please let me know.

Debug to me shows nothing but the backtrace does show something, but being new to all this I have no idea where to start (obviously a forum and google search showed up nothing that I could find)

Backtrace
http://pastebin.com/m36be0321/

Debug
http://pastebin.com/m160f23
Please don't snip the logs. Your stack trace link is bad. Presumably you obtained stack trace by either killing the process with sig segv, generating a core, or running in gdb and interrupting execution?
OK, I'll get it to do it again and put in all of it. Not a problem, thanks for getting back to me.
OK, so got it to freeze again in windowed, it seems it mainly does it by itself in fullscreen.

Trace
http://pastebin.com/ma595ae4

Debug
http://pastebin.com/m2eddda7
Does anyone have any ideas on this one yet. It keeps happening every once and a while, maybe its just that I don't haeve enough ram or something. Hope the log and trace help.
Try not running XBMC and just letting it run straight Ubuntu awhile, does it still freeze up? I've let XBMC run from hours to days without freezing so you might want to make sure this isn't your hardware...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Thanks for the suggestion but have tried this already BLKMGK. Have got 4 days with no problems at all. XBMC just did it over night again, but in full screen mode so i couldn't get back to see the trace.
Ok more info so i can see if anyone has any ideas. This happens with xbmc after it idles for a while. On the home screen or in a library. Also its not just the screen savers as even with the screensaver off the system freezes and I have to reboot.

If i just boot the system and not xbmc, it has idled fine for over 4 days. Finally if i keep playing movies, or music it doesn't freeze, only once the system is left alone.

Cheers
perhaps it's a problem with the powersave feature? try compiling with --disable-profiling
Isn't disabled profiling the default though?
Ok even though its the default I redid it all with configure --disabled-profiling and it still freezes, but only in full screen. In windowed mode it never does. Any other ideas that can help anyone?
-
already tried a different version of your video card drivers? could be a bug in there.
I have a similar problem that might shed some light on the problem. I recently replaced my video card with a better one, and upon restarting with the new drivers XBMC would crash when I launched it. I reinstalled with the 8.10 installer downloaded from the website (same one I put in previous) and it no longer crashes. However, when I went to view my movies and TV shows in library mode, it would get as far as Genre, Title, etc and would click no further. I tried cleaning the library, no change. I removed the sources and deleted them from the library, but upon adding them again it would not detect the content during scan. Totally by accident, I launched XBMC in windowed mode, and suddenly it would scan just find and add movies to the library again. The movie information was there and all the Library m\Mode views would work except I noticed no Coverflow view (not available in windowed?). But when I exited out of windowed XBMC and launched it fullscreen, it went back to File Mode and Library Mode is greyed out on the menu.

Could a video card driver really be the cause of all this? Seems a little unlikely, but tonight I will dive back into it and check to make sure I have the latest driver, and troll the forums some more to see if someone has a similar problem. In the meantime, I thought I'd post my issue and see if someone has seen anything similar, and has some direction towards a solution. Thanks in advance for any help!
I found the problem... I turned on logging and the log file said something to the effect of "Can't open the database, it is a NEWER version than was expected." Not sure how this happened, I'm pretty sure I downloaded the same or a newer version. So I renamed the database file to .old and started XBMC up, and I was able to add movies to the library and go into Library Mode again. Hopefully this helps someone else out!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recurring Freeze that I can't recreate0