I think I finally found the cause of my stutter problem.
dan1son Wrote:Sorry for the delay... crazy weekend. I'll try to get something together this evening.

Initial observations:

ATV with XBMC pre-9.04 complied Jan 9 2009 using LCD HDTV @720p, 60Hz.

All three play fine with this XBMC version:

24_nodetel.m4v seems the smoothest.
SAS_nodetel.m4v reports the wrong framerate (25fps) and when playing the fps seems to be hunting.

Even the current SVN is seeing the wrong framerate;

MediaInfo however, thinks;
24_nodetel.m4v -> 23.976
SAS_nodetel.m4v -> 23.985
SAS_nodetel.mkv -> 23.976

Quote:Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/davilla/Movies/hbtest/SAS_nodetel.m4v':
Duration: 00:08:11.21, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2110 kb/s
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 720x480, 48000.00 tb®
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
Stream #0.2(eng): Subtitle: text / 0x74786574

This output comes from ffmpeg itself.

That 48000.00 tb® is interesting as it's also the aac audio rate.

All are taking about 50+ percent cpu so plenty of margin.

CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty (yes it's spelled wrong Smile

and

WARNING: QueryPerformanceCounter moving backwords

Even the current SVN does not have these warnings.

More later ( as he multiplexes away Smile
Keep the info coming. I'm going to try a relatively current SVN build myself and see what happens. I'll post results here in a bit.
Same results as before using a SVN build REV17583. The SAS mp4 encode is still choppy. It's not the easiest thing in the world to see, but the planet at the beginning seems to almost move in pulses at times randomly, and the stars do the same thing. They video seems smooth most of the time, but appears to stutter, pause, or chop every couple of seconds once or more. There's not an obvious pattern to it as far as I can see.

It's still noticable on things like people talking, just not as much so. It'll look like their mouth pauses then almost quickly slides to the next place. Like it's holding onto a frame too long then going through the next several in a hurry.

It's definitely still there in this build.
Just bringing this back up for any new information.

Davilla, I noticed a patch in the "Jittery Video?" Windows thread from bobo1on1 having to do with a different method for syncing the video with the audio that should help with some jerky playback. It looks like some work was put into the way playback is calculated. I was wondering if you had done any testing to see if this helped in this situation.

Thanks,
Dan
dan1son Wrote:Just bringing this back up for any new information.

Davilla, I noticed a patch in the "Jittery Video?" Windows thread from bobo1on1 having to do with a different method for syncing the video with the audio that should help with some jerky playback. It looks like some work was put into the way playback is calculated. I was wondering if you had done any testing to see if this helped in this situation.

Thanks,
Dan

I'm tracking that, bobo1on1 is an xbmc dev now. There's a branch created for this work (xbmc-smoothvideo). It seems to have helped but audio gets messed up under OSX. It's a work in progress Smile
Any news on this subject? My icord files are still stuttering away. Wink
Z3rO Wrote:Any news on this subject? My icord files are still stuttering away. Wink

any work on xbmc-smoothvideo regarding osx is stalled until 9.04 release. I have too much to do already hunting bugs.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I didn't see a more pertinent thread in the current forum. I'm still seeing this video jitter/stutter behavior with XBMC 10.0 (OSX Intel) and the latest Handbrake (0.95) with universal settings. Before I change to forced frame rates, is there updated information or a better solution?
Any stutter you see in the current release of XBMC should be unrelated to this specific issue. This ended up being fixed before XBMC 9.10 shipped. It was apparently one of those odd bugs someone noticed when working through some code for something else.

I suggest you do some tests, get some debug logs, and make a new post with information. Try non handbrake files (h.264 movie trailers and stuff work great) to see if it's global beyond those, try setting "sync playback to display" etc.
I just noticed this today when trying to playback a downloaded "trailer".

Got the same error under OSx 10.7.2 with Eden beta 1:

ERROR: CDVDPlayerVideo::OpenStream - Invalid framerate 1000, using forced 25fps and just trust timestamps.

This is what it looks like with QuickTime player, and XBMC:

And this is how it looks like with MplayerX
I also have this issue with most if not all my movies using the latest Eden Betas. (All m4v files transcoded using Handbrake.) I understand there was a fix earlier, but is this a bug that has reared it's ugly head again?
cut a sample and dropbox it.
I posted a couple of clips on my site: link

XBMC will change refresh rate appropriately for Fast and Furious even though the log says "invalid framerate", but Fast Five does not initiate the refresh rate change.

I've also included Media Inspector reports for both of the full movies and a XBMC log file where I launched XBMC, played both movies for a couple of minutes and quit.

I trimmed the clips using MPEG Streamclip, but it changes the extension to mp4 instead of m4v. (Not sure if that matters to you.)

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think I finally found the cause of my stutter problem.0