XMBC (OS X) can't play symlinks
In Linux I use a lot of symlinked files, sometimes to rename files so xbmc recognize them, sometimes to link to download folder. But on OS X neigther links created with terminal or so called aliases work. XBMC find most of them, but won't play them.
olavjunior Wrote:In Linux I use a lot of symlinked files, sometimes to rename files so xbmc recognize them, sometimes to link to download folder. But on OS X neigther links created with terminal or so called aliases work. XBMC find most of them, but won't play them.

This is an issue with XBMC for MAC, feel free to create a ticket (http://trac.xbmc.org/report/13).
On AppleTV version I can access symbolic links to external drive folders via SMB. Just for info. Not tried links to individual files.
I am currently using symlinks to connect to everything on external drives (OS X 10.5.7). Simlinks are in a folder on my main computer's root level called XBMC and that's the name of my share. Inside that folder are simlinks to all over my file system and they share juse fine. Maybe you can't link to actual media files, but only containing folders? Permissions might be an issue also.
I'm also using symlinked files and it works great (on 10.5.7).

Instead of linking folders, I symlink the files (subs, movies etc) in the actual folder with

Code:
ln -s /example/* .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC (OS X) can't play symlinks0