myth// .. no playback from backend
myth:// has normally worked without any hitches and I used to have MythTV running on a different machine (not currently though).

It sounds like you've run through all the necessary setup steps from both

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV#Setup_in_MythTV and
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV#Setup_in_XBMC

Can you check that I've described the instructions in the wiki clearly enough?

If you do resolve the issue, are you able to either update the wiki directly or let me know and I will.
Oh, and stick with dvdplayer until you at least get something playing (it's what I'm using out of the box). I'm not sure how well any external player would work with myth://
I had a similar issue once. Dunno if it's your cause but worth a look. The cmyth library used for Myth connectivity in XBMC apparently only enumerates the first 17 tuner devices when looking for available tuners. If you played a bit when you set up the myth backend (added and removed tuners a bit), then it's possible that your tuner ID's are >17 in the backend database. The net result is that you get the guide and all the stations displayed in XBMC but XBMC can never select a tuner for live TV playback. This of course may not be your problem but if it is then you need to either remove completely all your tuners (so they start at 0 when re-added), then re-add them, or manually edit the backend database and reorder your tuner device numbers (not recommended).

Cheers,

Arkay.
i read about this, the numbering of dvb sources, but that is not it. anyways, im currently trying out vdr with the new frontend in xbmc.. will give it a test for a cpl of days and see how it works
No probs. Just thought I'd mention it. Be interested to hear about the VDR frontend. I have a 100% working myth backend but I've been hoping for a fully integrated solution in XBMC. Might have to splice 1 tuner out of the myth backend to add to VDR and test it myself !

Cheers,

Arkay.
So here is my situation,

I have My Master backend and XBMC running on 192.168.1.132, everything works as well as It should I guess.

Mythbox script works as well on above.

Setup Slave machine at 192.168.1.190 with XBMC as the frontend. Setup Mythbackend and Frontend first as secondary backend and I am making sure that works and it does, other than I cannot WATCH the recordings I schedule on the Master back end.

The secondary machine is configured as 127.0.0.1 in Myth backend setup for the slave machine and it is connecting to the database at 192.168.1.132 and that is fine I can watch live tv from Myth on the slave machine.

NOW How do I setup the protocol for this OR mythbox because currently it will not connect to 127.0.0.1 I get no guide or livetv data if I change to 192.168.1.190 I get no guide but I can see the recordings (but they will not play) and I can see Live tv (but with no icons) and I can watch live tv. If I change to 192.168.132 of course I get liveTV data, Guide Data, and I see the recordings from the default directory only and not from the livetv but they will not play and the major problem here is no watching of live tv but what the protocol does do is tries to launch the live tv channel say discovery I can see activity like it is going to start then does not but I still have activity going on, then if I hit the button again to view the same live tv channel it will then start but will not stop and if I go and check status on the Master Back end, both of my TUNERS 3 and 4 are tied up watching live tv and I have to reboot the slave machine to get it to stop and release the tuners.

And finally I get no live tv after resuming from Standby in any way shape or form unless I reboot the machine again.

Any Advice. Same issues using the protocol or the mythbox script.

Dave
Guide and (we think) Live TV comes directly from the database. So in XBMC you want the the myth:// URL to point to the Master Backend as that's where the DB is, 192.168.1.132.

Playing of recordings can fail if the IP Address is configured in MythTV incorrectly. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV#Setup_in_MythTV

I don't know how the Slave would interfere though. If recording is being done on both, are there physical recordings on two different machinesHuh If so, cmyth may not deal with that. I'd try setting the Local Backend IP Address on the Slave Machine to 192.168.1.190 rather than 127.0.0.1.

Do you need two MythTV backends running? I believe that is normally only done if you want to record a LOT of channels at once and can't physically do that on one machine, or if you want to offload transcoding work or commercial flagging etc. to another machine.

If you can do all the recording you need from one box, then perhaps.

1) Setup one machine to have MythBackend installed. (Machine 192.168.1.132). Ensure that the mythtv-setup -> General -> Local Backend -> IP Address is set to 192.168.1.132
2) Install Myth Frontend Only on the other machine. Use this to test that playing Live TV and Recordings works (Machine 192.168.1.190). You don't need to install full MythTV if you just need to watch Live TV or Recordings.
3) Install XBMC on 192.168.1.190. myth://user:[email protected]

The old xbmcmythtv script used to start "Live TV" by scheduling a Tuner for a period of time (default was 120 minutes I think - could be changed through configuration). MythBox probably does something similar since it was forked from that code.

I believe the myth:// protocol does something different, so should be better at releasing tuners when XBMC is closed and the Myth Client is closed.

Check the mythbackend.log file to see what is going on.

Regarding the Tuner status issue after suspend. That is likely not related to XBMC. I recall that coming up as an issue for Tuners and Myth TV in general. Some cards support Suspend, some not. Try and find out if the cards you are using support it, or if there are any tweaks needed to Linux config to allow it.

On my Myth Box, I have it shutdown fully when not in use to avoid that whole issue.
Yep I have tried all that stuff, I am not recording on the slave machine and there is no database running on it. I had to install the secondary backend on that machine because the 2nd pvr-150 and 2nd stb is in that room as well.

If nothing is recording and I try to watch a channel with the settings at the .132 master backend address nothing works until the 2nd attempt to watch live tv on the same slave machine and it then locks up both tuners the one in the master and the one in the slave and I can only stop the slave machine tuner the master b/c tuner stays locked and only reboot releases it.

Without XBMC running or trying to access everything works Great on either machine other that then recording playback. I am not trying to record on both machines, I rcrded Grey's last night on the .132 Master machine. It stored it in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/ basically the default group as that is the only directory I have setup currently and then of course I also have a /var/lib/mythtv/recordings directory that I set up on the .190 machine for Live tv etc so the only recordings in the .190 directory are livetv which of course cannot be seen by the .190 slave machine either as it is connected to the master .132 machines db.

I did not figure XBMC had anything to do with the suspend issue I just hoped someone may have ran into it before.

Dave
I have the same problem mentioned by others.

mythtv backend is on a separate hardy machine. myth is setup correctly with the correct backend ip (not 127.0.0.1)

I can connect to the mythtv backend from my machines using mythtv frontend. watching live tv works fine.

I connected to my myth backend using the last svn of xbmc, using the db username/password.

XBMC connects and shows the channels and the guide. But it will not play live tv or any recordings.
If you can both post your full XBMC debug log and mythbackend.log files to pastebin I'll see how they differ from mine.
draggy Wrote:I have the same problem mentioned by others.

mythtv backend is on a separate hardy machine. myth is setup correctly with the correct backend ip (not 127.0.0.1)

I can connect to the mythtv backend from my machines using mythtv frontend. watching live tv works fine.

I connected to my myth backend using the last svn of xbmc, using the db username/password.

XBMC connects and shows the channels and the guide. But it will not play live tv or any recordings.

Yep it seems like the protocol is on the first attempt locking up the tuner and not displaying anything on screen for me via Livetv and then on the second attempt of the same channel it actually locks the proper tuner (4) as well as keeping tuner (3) locked but now it will display live tv.

I will post logs in the am. I am in the middle of switching out the minuet case for a Fusion (too much heat from the minuet)

Dave
make sure you guys have hosts entries for any backend machine on the machine that runs xbmc.

The myth backend will even if you set it to connect by IP, return hostname's for the recordings/livetv.

It's some stupid bug in their server imho..
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:make sure you guys have hosts entries for any backend machine on the machine that runs xbmc.

Thanks! that's just what I was missing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
myth// .. no playback from backend0