IMDb.com license issues?
I think they fly in large V formations during migration - or that may be the European swift.

Point taken. I retract my hijacking comment.
smcnally75 Wrote:Just for the record...IMDB never started anything here. An xbmc user brought IMDBs "rules" to the attention of the devs and the devs decided to do the right thing and ask for permission.

Puhleez. The devs have always known what IMDB's rules were. They just chose to look the other way until recently. It's like saying the devs are surprised that people are using XBMC to watch stuff they illegally downloaded off the Internet.

themoviedb is not a long term solution and will ulitmately fail like freedb when the maintainer loses interest.
goake Wrote:All i wanted to know was what the response was from IMDB when Team XBMC asked for permission to scrape their site.

The devs won't post the response publicly because it's obvious what the response was. No surprise there. Ask any commercial website how it feels about having it's content scraped and the response will be predictable.
johnny2 Wrote:Puhleez. The devs have always known what IMDB's rules were. They just chose to look the other way until recently. It's like saying the devs are surprised that people are using XBMC to watch stuff they illegally downloaded off the Internet.

themoviedb is not a long term solution and will ulitmately fail like freedb when the maintainer loses interest.

To be honest, I don't think there is anything unlawful about them having the scraper in XBMC. I may be wrong, but I think it would only be unlawful if it was being used for a commercial program or for another website. As for you illegal downloads comment... The debs can't control how people use XBMC. XBMC doesn't download these movies nor does it aid anyone in getting them. I personally have a collection of 375 movies and have the physical disc for every one of them put away in a closet. That comment is akin to saying that Ford sells Mustangs fully aware that people will use them to rob banks.
Well the newest SVN had a update 4 hours ago, and IMDB and Amazon are back.

No reason as why?

Good News either way finally
It is no longer the default.. But we leave it to the user to make the decision as to whether they want to risk anything.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
. ignore, probably cache related browser problems. Sorry.
tslayer Wrote:It is no longer the default.. But we leave it to the user to make the decision as to whether they want to risk anything.

We appreciate the change.

Even after editing the files manually before half the time xbmc ignored the imdb scraper and my results were crap. >.<
smcnally75 Wrote:To be honest, I don't think there is anything unlawful about them having the scraper in XBMC. I may be wrong, but I think it would only be unlawful if it was being used for a commercial program or for another website. As for you illegal downloads comment... The debs can't control how people use XBMC. XBMC doesn't download these movies nor does it aid anyone in getting them. I personally have a collection of 375 movies and have the physical disc for every one of them put away in a closet. That comment is akin to saying that Ford sells Mustangs fully aware that people will use them to rob banks.

I don't think IMDB cares about you copying movies - it's not their business - they care about their site and their database and have clearly stated that they don't want robots and scrapers. So don't see your comparison as fit in any way
johnny2 Wrote:themoviedb is not a long term solution and will ulitmately fail like freedb when the maintainer loses interest.

I surely hope not, but I get what you mean. I hope it will become a long term community driven project though. I have decided to keep it as my default as I feel it often offers better results in terms of scraping (less mislabeled movies) and for instance plot info which is more to the point as opposed to the essays on iMDB. I just want a quick description of the plot but iMDB plots are often way too elaborate.
ultrabrutal Wrote:I don't think IMDB cares about you copying movies - it's not their business - they care about their site and their database and have clearly stated that they don't want robots and scrapers. So don't see your comparison as fit in any way

I never said that IMDB cared about copying movies. I was answering two separate comments that the person I quoted made. My comment about IMDB was that what XBMC uses it for technically does not break any of their "rules". If you read their "terms" page, you'll see a bunch of weird terms that really make no sense anyway and would never stand up in court.

Quote:Licensing IMDb Content; Consent to Use Robots and Crawlers: If you are interested in receiving our express written permission to use IMDb content for your non-personal (including commercial) use, please visit our Content Licensing section or contact our Licensing Department.
Our use is personal and not commercial since XBMC is a free product and nobody makes a profit off of it. You only need to request permission for non-personal and commercial use.

Quote:If you visit IMDb.com, you accept these conditions.
This is one of my favorites! This is like having a note taped to your toilet that says "By entering this bathroom you have agreed to pay the owner of this bathroom $1000". They can't hold you accountable for ANY agreements without having you physically accept an agreement by signing up for an account or by not allowing you to even access the site without acknowledging the agreement.
I hade problems with scraping last week.
I now understand that IMDB are bitching about using there database?

I now run version 17700? of XBMC, and I changed my settings för TMDB in "set content" for my Movies.

Do I have to change something else?
I removed my "Elite Squad" that was missing a thumb, cause IMDB dont have any, and thought I would get the one from TMDB now, but I didnt.

Do I have do something else?

In what order do XBMC use .nfo's and .nfo's with xml? I still have a "scene .nfo" with an URL to IMDB for the movie "Elite Squad". Will XBMC always use that info before TMDB then?

And another question, If I create an .nfo with xml-info, and rename the "scene .nfo" to .info, will I then get the info from the .nfo and get the rest about the movie from TMDB or the url to IMDB from the .info?

Thanks

/Söder
Yes XBMC reads the NFO. Don't think it looks for .INFO files
ultrabrutal Wrote:Yes XBMC reads the NFO. Don't think it looks for .INFO files

So If I want my xbmc to get info from TMDB instead of IMDB, I have to remove my scene .nfo with the IMDB url, or rename it to .info ?

/Söder
The issue is more then likely about bandwidth leeched by XBMC users paid for by IMDB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IMDb.com license issues?0