XBMC can't play dts-cd,why?
XBMC can play movie with dts audio, but can't play dts-cd. What's the problem?
Need a debug log on pastebin and maybe a small sample.
Did you try playing it with dvdplayer, maybe it's the same issue as with ac3 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43567

Anyways, I tried playing few 5ch ac3 files a moment ago and:

Music player plays everything as 2ch stereo
Dvdplayer plays some of them as 5ch surround, some of them as 2ch stereo and simply skips some of them

Files are not corrupted, they play fine in Zoomplayer.

http://koti.kainuu.com/manki/xbmc.log
althekiller Wrote:Need a debug log on pastebin and maybe a small sample.

I send the debug log and small sample here:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5886
It is because xbmc for PC doesn't pass the audio unmolested to a dts compatible reciever. It has worked for years on the old xbox (odd because of the 48KHz requirement) There is a post in the linux section about this as well.
cold_realms Wrote:It is because xbmc for PC doesn't pass the audio unmolested to a dts compatible reciever. It has worked for years on the old xbox (odd because of the 48KHz requirement) There is a post in the linux section about this as well.

Is there some patch for this bug?
cold_realms Wrote:It is because xbmc for PC doesn't pass the audio unmolested to a dts compatible reciever. It has worked for years on the old xbox (odd because of the 48KHz requirement) There is a post in the linux section about this as well.

I think dts pass through works unmolested when playing DVDs and other movies, but those DTS streams are 48kHz. DTS-CDConfused are 44.1 kHz. I haven't managed to play DTS-CDConfused or dtswav files (similar as the one in 5886 ticket) in any PC software so that pass through works. Other players (like VLC) converts those to PCM stereo through SPDIF and analog outputs, but xbmc outputs just noise, both analog output and SPDIF, in both analog and digital mode.
It looks (or sounds) like the data is treated like normal stereo wav. In pass through mode that should work the same way as normal DVD player when playing these discs (the amp is handling DTS decoding). Maybe there is some header settings which are missing or wrong ?

More samples and information on this page: http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html
Ideally XBMC should strive toward the Squeezebox approach. With Squeezebox you are able to play back DTS and AC3 files, compressed into a FLAC container (which doesn't compress a lot but very importantly allows for full tagging).

Squeezeboxes are capable of bit perfect streaming. XBMC currently doesn't, not for its music playing part, at least.
ashlar Wrote:Ideally XBMC should strive toward the Squeezebox approach. With Squeezebox you are able to play back DTS and AC3 files, compressed into a FLAC container (which doesn't compress a lot but very importantly allows for full tagging).

Squeezeboxes are capable of bit perfect streaming. XBMC currently doesn't, not for its music playing part, at least.

Actually one of the goals for the next release states that they want bit perfect pass through of audio streams which would solve this issue and frankly be the preferred method as they look into adding higher bitrate audio whether that source is BD (true-HD or DTS Master) or simply DVD-Audio 192KHz 24-Bit streams. At least have the option so those of us with 10K+ sound systems can fully realize high quality audio.
I finally found one software combination to get DTS-CD (44.1 kHz) SPDIF pass trough to the receiver: foobar2000 + foo_spdif.dll.
Unfortunately it works (or sort of works) only when this foo_spdif setting is selected:
"Allow playpack at 48kHz for files recorded at 44.1kHz. Most of sound cards support 48kHz SPDIF only. This option can force playpack at 48kHz on such boards. If it works, your files will play faster resulting in just a little higher voice pitch."
This "just a little" makes this in practice useless (about 9 % too fast playing).
I have tried with two PCConfused I have with SPDIF output, one laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad, SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio) and one old PC with Asus AV8 mother board. (8-channel audio via VT8237 integrated audio and ALC850 codec). In both cases I need to enable this 48kHz mode. Is this hardware or software (driver?) problem ?
Fortunately 48kHz DTS/DD material works (bitperfect ?), which is more important, but it would be nice to be able to play also DTS-CD material on xbmc, not just in the plain old DVD-player.
ashlar Wrote:Ideally XBMC should strive toward the Squeezebox approach. With Squeezebox you are able to play back DTS and AC3 files, compressed into a FLAC container (which doesn't compress a lot but very importantly allows for full tagging).

Ehm... doh! Just tried playing these DTS, FLAC encapsulated files with DVDplayer. They play perfectly in 5.1 Great!!!

Edit: far from perfect. The first file in an album can play perfectly (some albums do, some don't, can't pinpoint why), as soon as the next track has to be played it's back to static... Sad
Thanks wiso and the xbmc-team, I can play dts-wav file now with svn18140.
DTS-wav can play now, but output is change to stereo, not dts.
So when you guys are playing these DTS wavs are you seeing DTS through your receiver? I can play them as well now but I see only DOLBY DIGITAL (AC3).

Ohh just caught taxigps' post. So I guess these are not real 5.1 outputs then.
SlaveUnit Wrote:So when you guys are playing these DTS wavs are you seeing DTS through your receiver? I can play them as well now but I see only DOLBY DIGITAL (AC3).

Ohh just caught taxigps' post. So I guess these are not real 5.1 outputs then.

Yes they are , generally, 5.1 . The issue is that they are 44.1 KHz and not 48KHz. the data is a compressed stream that your receiver must decode but if some other part of the chain is messing with them they will not work properly.

With all that said as long as XBMC isn't trying to decode them then there is another issue as If you get sound you are getting all 5.1 channels even if there is some issue downsampling it. However I would guess (nothing to test it on right now) that XBMC is actually decoding the stream and not passing it UNTOUCHED. Sad because the old xbox does these perfectly..has for years.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC can't play dts-cd,why?0