The burning issue: thumbnail loading
The burning issue for me, at least, and anyone soon to be using Aeon with 1080p poster art. We all know that thumbnail loading screws with skin animation to differing degrees depending on how big the thumbnails are. With 1080p thumbnails, though, it's crippling to every view. The only "solution" I've found has been to introduce two different "rendering types", one using largeimages and the other normal ones. So you can choose between crap animation but instant display, or perfect animation but shitloads of pop-in. Neither is particularly pleasant.

With the perfect solution being HD thumbnails that display quickly without disrupting skin animation, I'm not sure whether to ask when or if. Could additional hardware resources be used to achieve this, or is it simply unrealistic? A shame if so, because HD thumbnails are surely the way forward...
It's unrealistic to be able to load (multiple) 1080p images from disk instantaneously.

What is realistic is background loading them (and crossfading if necessary).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

When I said 1080p I meant 1080px in the vertical, which I appreciate probably poses the same problem. How good a solution could background loading provide? Better than the existing largeimage method?
It's identical to the existing largeimage method, with the added advantage that, when changing images due to infolabel changes, it's not an abrupt cut, rather a fade.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Given that I'm only using 1080p thumbnails for fullscreen info views, would there be a possible solution in having separate big and small thumbnails for each listitem? So you could set the thumbnail cache at something more reasonable but then invoke the full size version under specific circumstances? In fact, is that already possible using some string-related magic?

UPDATE: Why yes, it is. I set the fullscreen version to:

<texture>$INFO[listitem.filenameandpath]-big.png</texture>

Bit cumbersome and there's a slight pause as it's a largeimage, but it's a neat workaround. Might there be any way of getting this properly integrated into XBMC, so you could specify something like [listitem.bigthumb]? You can have a similar naming convention to the fanart, maybe, with a -big suffix before the file extension...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The burning issue: thumbnail loading0