Volume Issues
My home theatre system is a little underpowered, but it generally gets the job done. However, I've noticed that playing a dvd through XBMC is (almost) intolerably quiet (which is to say, it's loud enough to hear, but not to fully enjoy). If I play the same dvd through mplayer, for example, it's much louder.
I searched the forums and while this has come up before, I didn't find any particularly helpful suggestions. Ideas?

[Edit: changed from analog to digital, and from plughw:0,3 to default. Now volume is fine.]
how are the volume and audio output settings ?
Volume within XBMC is set to 0.0 db. Volume in Ubuntu is maxed across the board. I'm using the following as .asoundrc:

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
   type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "plughw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
      format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

My output in XBMC is Analog and plughw:0,3. Analog is the only way to get proper audio playback from every type of media that I own. However, even switching to digital doesn't help my volume.
Sigh... I was all set up, too. But I just had to tweak... I tried following this thread to get a system-wide equalizer in the hopes that it would allow me to increase the volume on dvds, and now I can't undo the damage I've done.

Now all my navigation (and OS) sounds are being output through my analog device (hw:0,0) instead of hdmi (hw:0,3). This wouldn't be an issue, but now I can't use Ampache for local play to my stereo as it requires the analog connection. I've tried undoing all the steps, but it doesn't seem to help.
I still have no navigation, but ampache is working again. I uninstalled all the extraneous pulseaudio packages (pavcontrol, padevchooser, etc.), as well as ampache and mpd (complete removal, to get rid of any config files left behind) then reinstalled and everything is peachy again.

But I'm still left with my original volume issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume Issues0