SVN crashes on launch
I've been using the 2008-11-14 build of xbmc for a while, but was interested in several of the features added to the svn. Problem is after switching the sources and upgrading, xbmc crashes on load. This also happens on a clean install of xbmc (using 'apt-get remove --purge xbmc-common' for the uninstall).

Linux Distribution and Version - Ubuntu 8.04
Architecture - i686
Install Method - PPA
SVN Revision - I could duplicate the issue on r17663 and r17700. The logs are from r17700.
Debug Log - http://pastebin.com/m6ab052aa
Term output - http://pastebin.com/mb2cd1d3

I am confused about obtaining the backtrace. The instructions seem to be lacking.
Quote:Run "gdb /path/to/xbmc.bin /path/to/core" (xbmc.bin path is in the debug log (see above), core file should be in the current directory (may have the process ID number appended))
My log file gives share/xbmc/xbmc.bin as the executable path. I tried that and got 'no such file or directory'. I also tried /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin and /bin/xbmc.bin with the same results.
I was also guessing about the core file directory. Sorry, I have no clue what the current directory refers to. Same folder but xbmc-xrandr.bin?

Edit: I now see the core files are in my pwd. Still can't find the proper bin folder.
Same problem, latest PPA-SVN as of 4am PST on Feb 14th

Outputs

Terminal
Code:
$ xbmc
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
method return sender=:1.16 -> dest=:1.366 reply_serial=2

Debug Log
Backtrace

edit:
After following the guide to compile from SVN, both versions work fine, although the PPA build runs a little bit slower. I'm not even sure why the PPA build works now, maybe from installing the dependencies needed to compile?
It's worth a shot.

Edit:
The hardy pinned topic is missing. Sad
All I could find while searching was a guide for intrepid. This command just gives me "already newest version" warnings, so I guess I already had those dependencies.
Code:
# sudo apt-get install -y localepurge subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev wget zip curl build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xorg pm-utils mingetty

niko7865: Since you were able to dump a backtrace, can you point out what I was doing wrong?
From the log file, it looks like you don't have libcurl installed. Not sure that is why you are crashing, but that is what we see in log:

04:00:35 T:3016104848 M: 52891648 ERROR: Unable to load /usr/lib/libcurl.so, reason: /usr/lib/libcurl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Make sure you have libcurl properly installed. Check /usr/lib to see if it is there.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
FYI, make sure to check README.linux when you use SVN. It contains the deps you need.

Specifically, libcurl4-gnutls-dev.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
tslayer Wrote:FYI, make sure to check README.linux when you use SVN. It contains the deps you need.

Specifically, libcurl4-gnutls-dev.

@tslayer
FYI
curl and zip also needed and not listed in README.linux
Not sure curl is. That is just the cmd-line program. But the libcurl is.

And yes, zip is needed too for python I believe.

tslayer Wrote:Not sure curl is. That is just the cmd-line program. But the libcurl is.

And yes, zip is needed too for python I believe.

Both zip and curl is needed for running plugins and scripts (using python).

I guess you read my step-by-step guide. If I only include the list from README.linux there are errors during make phase. Zip and curl also need to be added for proper make. That's for sure, I was struggling for a week to find it out.
There is probably a missing dependency on the newer xbmc-svn packages.

Normally libcurl4-gnutls-dev or libcurl4-openssl-dev (which both provides /usr/lib/libcurl.so) would be installed automatically.
Novin Wrote:There is probably a missing dependency on the newer xbmc-svn packages.

Normally libcurl4-gnutls-dev or libcurl4-openssl-dev (which both provides /usr/lib/libcurl.so) would be installed automatically.

there seems to be /usr/lib/libcurl.so.x needed as well, which is not provided by libcurl4-gnutls-dev listed in the required package list.
Installing libcurl4-gnutls-dev fixed the crash with 8.10final1svn17700-intrepid1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SVN crashes on launch0