Running XBMC on WHS
When I run xbmc on Windows Home Server a window called SDL_app opens, then closes again and xbmc never starts. I've used a different PC (with XP) with no problems so I assume the problem is with this PC or OS.

I know you're not supposed to run apps directly on WHS but I've been able to get most apps running on it, so I wondered if anyone knows anything about this problem.

I get the same error whether I run the 8.1 atlantis release or the latest SVN as below.
Full debug log on a pastebin site, please.
I did read the instructions "IMPORTANT! The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System. "

However, my problem is that xbmc crashes when it loads, so how can I toggle an option from within XBMC Settings to get the debug log?
Figured out how to modify the guisettings.xml manually to get the debug log.

http://pastebin.com/m1c45c3ed
Any ideas on what could be wrong here? I see a lot of other similar problems are related to missing dlls, however I am using a Jester build from 13th Feb so I should have those.

Am I likely to be missing any other files due to the fact I'm running it on windows home server?
are your graphics card drivers from the nvidia site or from windows update?

if they're from windows update, try downloading real drivers from http://www.nvidia.com and see if that does anything
Thanks a lot, I installed the latest XP drivers from there and now it is all working perfectly Smile

I was already using some nvidia drivers, but I guess they were quite old...
hookman, if you check back in here can you post what you're trying to do running XBMC on WHS? Are you using the WHS machine as a XBMC client or just using the UPnP features of XBMC? I am really curious what you're trying to do. I am using WHS as my media server and I have XBMC running as a client on a HTPC attached to my TV. I am wondering why you'd mix the two (no opinion between the lines here -- just sincerely wondering).
Yes, I am using WHS as an XBMC client.

The reason being, I have a server running WHS which happens to be in my lounge that serves my music and films. Sometimes I want to use the WHS server in my lounge to watch films directly on it though (my only other client in the lounge is a 360 which doesn't stream x264 at all)

I've found that most things do actually run fine on WHS, even though they're not supposed to, it's basically just windows server 2003 with a couple of addons.
So Hookman I'm confused do you actually have XBMC running on your WHS directly connected to your TV and it works fine?

Reason I ask is that I am considering exactly that

Thanks
Yes, I am using xbmc directly on a WHS machine connected to an LCD via HDMI and it works fine.
Thanks

Do you mind me asking what video card you're using and what resolution you're running and skin?
I'm using a nvidia 7600GS at 720p and I've tried the 3 (I think) skins that come by default and they all work fine.
Anyone else running this setup?

I am building a combo HTPC + NAS box based on the new Zotac mini-DTX board. It has a dual-core ATOM, HDMI output, 6 Sata ports, and a pcie-x16.

I will have all my media on this box, and lots of extra space. It would be great to run WHS on it to take advantage of all the other WHS features, such as backing up my other machines.

Are their any complications or downsides to running XBMC on the WHS OS? Any codecs, or helper apps that won't run or anything? Basically anything that runs on windows 7 should run on it or what?
I'm running XBMC directly on my WHS too.

The Crystal HD gives me full 1080p with around 40% cpu. Apart from the occasional stutter at the beginning of a movie (SVN:28086) and the fact that Milkdrop doesn't like WHS or vice-versa, it all works fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running XBMC on WHS0