• 7(current)
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
Fix your sound, and the video will likely follow. As a test, try running sudo killall pulseaudio before XBMC, thats been known to help.
danillll Wrote:motd2k
first thanks a LOT for all the dedicated time and the great features you added to XBMC.

Having a fast CPU, hardware acceleration wasn't on top of my wishlist, however I really really really (you can tell how excited I am, can't you Smile ) wanted to see extra filters in the dvdplayer to smoothen and denoise the picture and I just saw your bug
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/17795
and noticed that you indeed implemented this feature.

My questions for you and anybody who used these filters

1) how is the picture quality on a large screen tv? I love XBMC but my only concern was the picture quality and I have a 2 page thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45425
explaining what I was experiencing with 1080p mkv playback and I highly believe that these filters will take care of these dancing pixels in the background, am I wrong?

2) I have live version installed on my machine, which is hardy OS version, I just want to double check that if I check out the vdapu branch I can just compile and run it on LIVE, right?

3) these filters are flawless? and I can tweak them from the GUI?

Thanks again

Hi danillll,

1) I'm pretty happy with the picture, but it seems you have very good eyes (or a very very large TV!) Give it a shot, and let me know your feedback!

2) I think this is unlikely, as I dont believe the live version come with the required NVIDIA drivers (180.29 or later). Sorry, but maybe you could find an old harddrive or something to give it a whirl on!

3) I'm not sure about flawless - some people love these kind of things, others hate them... its a taste and personal preference thing. Yes, you can tweak them from within the UI, however as you mentioned in the other thread... i think i made a booboo and forgot to save them off to the DB! I'll fix that in a forthcoming commit... thanks for the headsup!

motd
alanwww1 Wrote:I checked latest svn. Auto refresh rate change now works for most of the contents, but for some videos i get a lots of dropped frames, video playing way too fast moving way out of sync of audio. Framerate counter shows the framerate it should be played. Like the decoder would decode the movie in a different framerate than the renderer. If i set the default refresh rate according to that specific video than all is fine.

Thanks for the works done Motd2k.

olympia Wrote:alanwww1, you were the quicker Smile
Exactly the same issue here.

I changed the default 256MB video ram to 512MB and now without autorefresh everything is fine, at around 5-10% CPU utilization. Motd2k, we can't thank you enough for this to you and all the devs.

However, with autorefresh I am experiencing the same as alanwww1, also in case of killa sample.

bogey Wrote:Does skipping and then contiuning the playback fix this issue?

olympia Wrote:Yes! Nod

olympia Wrote:@motd2k
Are you going to address this issue, or it is not solvable at the moment?
Thank you!

@motd2k
I really don't want to be a pain in the ass on this, but could you please confirm (it would be enough for me Smile), that you are aware of this bug? Or you put me on your ignore list for some reason? Smile
Of course i know about it, it will be fixed when it's fixed. Its difficult to debug something i dont experience!
motd2k Wrote:Of course i know about it, it will be fixed when it's fixed. Its difficult to debug something i dont experience!

Thanks for the information ! Big Grin

You say that you have it working with auto-refreshrate function ?
Even when it really changes the default rate ? Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yep, I get greenscreen corruption whilst vdpau reinitialises, and then playback resumes at the correct speed.
alanwww1 Wrote:Thanks for the information ! Big Grin

You say that you have it working with auto-refreshrate function ?
Even when it really changes the default rate ? Huh

alanwww1, I just tested this on the latest SVN and this bug seems disappeard.
Could you please test and confirm?

Thanks!
motd2k Wrote:Hi danillll,

1) I'm pretty happy with the picture, but it seems you have very good eyes (or a very very large TV!) Give it a shot, and let me know your feedback!

2) I think this is unlikely, as I dont believe the live version come with the required NVIDIA drivers (180.29 or later). Sorry, but maybe you could find an old harddrive or something to give it a whirl on!

3) I'm not sure about flawless - some people love these kind of things, others hate them... its a taste and personal preference thing. Yes, you can tweak them from within the UI, however as you mentioned in the other thread... i think i made a booboo and forgot to save them off to the DB! I'll fix that in a forthcoming commit... thanks for the headsup!

motd

Hello motd2k,

It did work for the live version after upgrading the latest nvidia driver, check out your code, compile it per your steps and installing it under /usr, the only difference was using --prefix=/usr cause this is where live puts it.
I also used ./make install and it worked with no errors

The picture is a huge improvement from the previous XBMC default render, maybe it's like 90% close to perfection, all I can say is sweeeeeett...
However as I mentioned in the other thread, the filters were not working, at least I didn't notice any differences, even the default brightness and contrast didn't do anything.

your work is amazing, piece of art, If you don't mind I'm going to read/understand your code and try to help where I can, you made it easier now with the base design/implementation already done.

Thanks and please let me know if the filters work for you cause I bet tweaking these filters will get me a crystal clear picture and hide any imperfection from bad encoded movies.

THANKS
olympia Wrote:alanwww1, I just tested this on the latest SVN and this bug seems disappeard.
Could you please test and confirm?

Yes !!!

I can confirm with latest svn vdpau with autorefresh rate enabled works pretty well. Big Grin There are only a few movies which start with a blured image but in a sec or two it clears out. Like the decoder would not pick up the beginning of the stream.

Anyway all works fine. Great work Motd2k.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
BADASS!

Thanks motd2k!!

Did you have to do a "code rewrite"? (I remember one of the other devs saying you'd need to do so in order to get VDPAU working..)

At least someone on the team has man sized bawls.
alanwww1 Wrote:Yes !!!

I can confirm with latest svn vdpau with autorefresh rate enabled works pretty well. Big Grin There are only a few movies which start with a blured image but in a sec or two it clears out. Like the decoder would not pick up the beginning of the stream.

Anyway all works fine. Great work Motd2k.

Unfortunately now I am experiencing some lagging and slow downs with most of my mkvs, always at the same scenes, but it is not related to autorefresh. I see the same behaviour with autorefresh disabled. Interestingly killa is OK.

Are you experiencing the same?
olympia Wrote:Unfortunately now I am experiencing some lagging and slow downs with most of my mkvs, always at the same scenes, but it is not related to autorefresh. I see the same behaviour with autorefresh disabled. Interestingly killa is OK.

Are you experiencing the same?

I will do further and more detaied tests. Now my default everyday use xbmc is from vdpau branch so i will have a lot more expereince soon.

I'll report back.
I still don't have nvnews account. Maybe someone can start XBMC-VDPAU thread over there? Folks need to know about this! Smile
Motd2k,

i tested the postprocessing filters of vdpau. Shaprpness works and makes a big difference changing the value, but noise filter does not really do anything for me. I tested several movies from SD to HD x264 content but i see no difference.

Anyway, do you think it would be possibe to have these postprocessing capabilities of vdpau also for non h264, mp2, vc1 content ? Eg. xvid AVI files.
It would be a really useful feature as those low bitrate avi files need the most of postprocessing to have an acceptable image.

I will test the inverse telecline function. As i understand it does some kind of pull down for cinema 24fps content to 60hz TV screen.
Seemingly retarded question, where do you change all the postprocessing options?

Thanks.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)15