• 83(current)
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
are there any plans to implement ATIs/AMDs equivalent of VDPAU? Unfortunately I bought a mainboard with onboard AMD graphics short before I read about the (at that time "going to be implemented") VDPAU support.
as soon as there are header files and a documentation which is on par with nvidia i'm sure someone will dive into it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
lefluff Wrote:Thanks to this thread I've managed to get 1920x1080@50hz working and thus enable "just scan" / 1:1 pixel mapping on my Samsung LE40A656. Previously no matter what settings I had in XBMC the Samsung would report 60Hz. Nod

Things look smooth but I still notice tiny juddering every now and then when playing 1080p content that has continous motion.

- Rachel, could you post your xorg.conf?

- Alan, did you say you had a Samsung A656?

I was still getting that "tiny juddering" even with my xorg.conf. That basically just seemed to cure the tearing in the top-eighth.

I think I've now managed to cure the juddering (ie: occasional skipped frames) by virtue of building from source from svn with ./configure --disable-debug. Of course if there are any other problems I can't supply debug output, but I suspect the extra main-CPU load of doing *that* was hurting on an Atom.
I haven't read all the 123 pages of this thread (so I'm sorry if this has already been asked or explained before)

Anyway... I'm considering taking a look the VDPAU and subtitles issues (that is that no overlay is present and thus ASS/SSA subtitles wont work)

I wonder if just someone can give me some pointers of where in the code to look around.

Cheers!
CDVDOverlayRenderer handles the majority of the image generation. What currently (when VDPAU is disabled of course) happens is we composite the output of this class with the video image, and display this to screen.

With VDPAU we obviously dont have access (via the CPU at least) to the video image, and so this composite operation wont work. What we aught to be doing is rendering the subtitles to an OpenGL texture, and having that composited via OpenGL directly over the VDPAU video - this would give some additional benefits even in software mode, losing a blit, and the ability to be able to scale and move the subtitles for example.

If you're serious about having a go speak to myself or elupus on IRC if you need more info.
nolem Wrote:I haven't read all the 123 pages of this thread (so I'm sorry if this has already been asked or explained before)

Anyway... I'm considering taking a look the VDPAU and subtitles issues (that is that no overlay is present and thus ASS/SSA subtitles wont work)

I wonder if just someone can give me some pointers of where in the code to look around.

Cheers!

A fix for this would be really great...
I think Motd2k could know the answer.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
motd2k Wrote:CDVDOverlayRenderer handles the majority of the image generation. What currently (when VDPAU is disabled of course) happens is we composite the output of this class with the video image, and display this to screen.

With VDPAU we obviously dont have access (via the CPU at least) to the video image, and so this composite operation wont work. What we aught to be doing is rendering the subtitles to an OpenGL texture, and having that composited via OpenGL directly over the VDPAU video - this would give some additional benefits even in software mode, losing a blit, and the ability to be able to scale and move the subtitles for example.

If you're serious about having a go speak to myself or elupus on IRC if you need more info.

Thanks for the info. I will start to look at the code now and in case I'm wondering something I will drop by on IRC.

Cheers!
awesome nolem i hope you get the help you need to get the subs working Smile
I have been working on getting VDPAU to work in XBMC most of the day today with no luck. I have a Quadrio NVS 140 and have everything working with mplayer, 1080p results in essentially no CPU time.

XBMC has been a different story, I have tried 9.04 and SVN on the current stable 185.18.14 and 190 series with the same results. Clips that play fine in mplayer with VDPAU all show what looks like random colored macroblocks in XBMC. The system acts like it is playing it back with good audio, and working player controls so I can pause, FF, rewind, etc. but it always looks corrupted.

At this point I am out of things to try, what are the best debug options for VDPAU so I can submit a bug report?
Are the clips VC-1? If so it's a known issue (although I actually assumed it was in mplayer too since it occurs for me even when i use the latest ffmpeg).

If they're not VC-1, then make sure you have 512MB or more on your GPU - in the case of integrated cards, configure your BIOS to allocate this much RAM, if its an addon card with less than 512MB then you're likely just out of luck.
motd2k Wrote:Are the clips VC-1? If so it's a known issue (although I actually assumed it was in mplayer too since it occurs for me even when i use the latest ffmpeg).

If they're not VC-1, then make sure you have 512MB or more on your GPU - in the case of integrated cards, configure your BIOS to allocate this much RAM, if its an addon card with less than 512MB then you're likely just out of luck.

Thanks for the reply, all of the things I'm testing are H.264 encoded 1080p. Given the UI of XBMC are you implying with 512MB of RAM (which I have) I might be cutting it a bit close so although mplayer can handle the VDPAU playback when playing under XBMC may not work?

I just pulled up the log and it sure looks like that might be the issue
Code:
08:22:05 T:2815425424 M:1896570880   ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error: The system does not have enough resources to complete the requested operation at this time.(23) at VDPAU.cpp:977

Looks like it's time to shop for a new video card.
Yeah, XBMC is using OpenGL and a whole load of textures as well as doing the VDPAU thing, so it requires more resources than mplayer. Neither-the-less i've never seen it not run when the GPU has 512MB allocated to it.
I took a look at the card and it is reporting 512MB so I think I have enough RAM for it. The logs seem a little strange to me because it reports the decoder capabilities indicating I have enough but still fails with an error when trying to do it. I have the same thing happen with MPEG2 SD test sources so maybe there is
something else wrong.

EDIT by Haggy: http://pastebin.com/m11e2e44d
*eeek* Please use some service like pastebin.com for future logfiles - and include the whole file.
I have 2 machines that supports VDPAU and one of them (Zodiac ION) has 512Mb dedicated to the GPU and it works just fine in xbmc
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)15