Slow videos?
Hi All,

Just installed XBMC on an old Sempron 2400+ machine. It's got 512MB RAM, and a GeForce FX5200 graphics card. Running on an Ubuntu 8.10 install, with the "accelerated" graphics drivers that I got prompted to install upon booting Ubuntu.

I've got a weird problem where if I set videos to zoom/scale to the size of the screen in XBMC, they will only play at 20 or so frames per second, and end up playing slower than the sound does. Almost like slow motion. The most baffling thing is that the CPU usage is only hovering around the 25-35% mark. The videos are predominantly 480x360 MP4's downloaded from Youtube and some 720x576 WMV's (1Mbit or so bitrate)

Some of them display quite well in the "custom" display mode.

Also, when playing back some of the WMV's, I get a problem where I can only see the top left quarter of the video, and I can't zoom out.

Can anyone shed light on what's going on? Smile
Compiz Fusion turned on? In ubuntu this is also known as "Desktop Effects."
I've tried it both switched on and off, it seems to make little difference... Sad
Just done some fiddling, it appears to happen on any file with any resolution if the computer is asked to upscale (every mode aside from "Custom" and "Original Size") on Custom, I sometimes get framerate drops despite the CPU still being really low.

Even on Normal, Widescreen videos will slow down to dead on 20fps, it's almost like there's a limiter somewhere.

Some screenshots:

Anyone?

I noticed a thread here that talks about a similar problem, however, I can't find said lines in my xorg.conf file?
faintaxis Wrote:Anyone?

I noticed a thread here that talks about a similar problem, however, I can't find said lines in my xorg.conf file?

Just add it to your Screen section of xorg.conf.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow videos?0