XBMC for the Playstation 3?
Topfs2 Wrote:You always need an OS to run beneath XBMC, that will always be true.

OK...

Quote:Same with Xbox, then we relied on the bundled OS and ran much like a homebrew.

What is "homebrew"?

Quote:On PS3 its not possible to run unsigned code on the bundled OS, this makes homebrew impossible.

I'm confused. Again, what's homebrew? If you can't run unsigned code on the bundled OS then why not simply sign it?

Quote:Sony however have allowed other OS to run on it but they dont provide any hw acceleration drivers and without those drivers XBMC wont be speedy (on bundle OS on Xbox we ofcourse have DirectX support and thus hw acceleration)

Seems to me then that all that need be done is to write "hw acceleration drivers". Surely this is doable...

Quote:Also note that XBMC Live is XBMC for linux on a very very stripped linux, so it to have a supporting OS.

My understanding is that the PS3 is not an X86 based machine. Yet Linux has been known to run on other chip sets. Then it was said that the PS3 doesn't have hw accelerated 3d. Yet you state it's just a driver problem. Drivers can be written. If the PS3 lacks the hardware, well that's a different story. But if it's just software drivers, well they can be developed...
defaria Wrote:What is "homebrew"?
google it
Quote:I'm confused. Again, what's homebrew? If you can't run unsigned code on the bundled OS then why not simply sign it?
Because Sony are the only ones with the key and it is WAY too big to crack.
Quote:Seems to me then that all that need be done is to write "hw acceleration drivers". Surely this is doable...
Right, just get Sony to hand out the documentation for those custom chips and go for it.
Quote:My understanding is that the PS3 is not an X86 based machine. Yet Linux has been known to run on other chip sets. Then it was said that the PS3 doesn't have hw accelerated 3d. Yet you state it's just a driver problem. Drivers can be written. If the PS3 lacks the hardware, well that's a different story. But if it's just software drivers, well they can be developed...

You've made blaringly obvious your lack of understanding in what is required to undertake this. I'd hope that from my original post you could grasp that we aren't particularly keen on discussing it further. We know what we're saying when we say this will NEVER happen and if, by some tiny sliver of chance, it does, it will not be at our hands. We have 3 very capable platforms on hardware that doesn't require cracking to do our thing. Like my original post says, "if you think we're wrong, prove it." Just don't expect us to help.
defaria Wrote:I did search. There's a massive amount of info on this site. The one link says "No XBMC won't run on Linux on PS3". I take it it also will not run on the PS3 directly. Excuse me but I don't have an XBox. It runs on an XBox doesn't it? Why then not the PS3? Is it just too difficult to port or is it that Sony doesn't allow or make easy development on the PS3? Is there nothing for the PS3 except what Sony delivers?

The other thing to note on this point is that the original Xbox was just a custom PC using a celeron processor (ie an x86 computer).

The PS3/XBox360/Wii are all based on PPC archs (ibm powerpc) which the code for xbmc is not designed for. To run it on those systems would require a port of the code for the ppc arch, which in itself is a large task (not as large as it was before xbmc was ported to linux but still a hefty task in its own right).

You clearly have no idea about the differences between the systems in general. Google is your friend. Spend some time on wikipedia and read up on all the systems involved before you "tell" us we should be able to do it.

Do you not think that *if* the devs here could do it they would??
I am feeling helpful so here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86#See_also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
althekiller Wrote:google it

You could not be so kind as to simply explain it?

Quote:Because Sony are the only ones with the key and it is WAY too big to crack.

Signing, WRT computer software and the like, takes on many different meanings. For example, on Windows you can have signed or unsigned drivers, applications, etc. Merely having one that is unsigned does not necessarily prevent the user from installing and running it. So then forgive me for not knowing that in the case of Sony and the PS3, not having a key prevents you from even developing something. You need not be so harsh there. You could simple explain things in the spirit of the XBMC manifesto's stated goal of "Promote the sharing of knowledge and collaboration"...

Quote:Right, just get Sony to hand out the documentation for those custom chips and go for it.

For example, instead of using that tone of voice why couldn't you say "The problem is that Sony developed their custom chips and refuses to allow others access to the documentation" instead of using the condescending tone you did. You must be amazing at social events...

Quote:You've made blaringly obvious your lack of understanding in what is required to undertake this.

I never claimed to have any expertise in this area. I came here asking questions remember? Why then must you attack me for a lack of knowledge I've never claimed to have? I'm simply trying to understand and you seem to feel you must berate me. Shows more to your lack of social grace than my undenied ignorance.

Quote:I'd hope that from my original post you could grasp that we aren't particularly keen on discussing it further.

Oh yes. You do seem closed lipped and even testy about the matter. I'm not sure why. You could take this all in the spirit that it was offered, from a person inquisitively trying to understand and to stick to your stated creed of "Promote the sharing of knowledge and collaboration" but instead you're hell bent on insulting people. I'm sorry I bothered you. Really. I didn't mean to get your dander up, I was just trying to understand the issues.

Quote:We know what we're saying when we say this will NEVER happen and if, by some tiny sliver of chance, it does, it will not be at our hands. We have 3 very capable platforms on hardware that doesn't require cracking to do our thing. Like my original post says, "if you think we're wrong, prove it." Just don't expect us to help.

You need either a chill pill, therapy or a life - perhaps all three. I was just asking a damn question! You don't need to jump all over people who are seeking knowledge. Remember, at one time you didn't have the knowledge you had either and you got it by the graces of others. Stop then, berating others for doing what you did. Geeze I don't deserve this! Have fun berating others I guess...
defaria Wrote:Oh yes. You do seem closed lipped and even testy about the matter. I'm not sure why.

Maybe because there have been loads and loads and loads and loads of threads created all asking the same thing AND there is a sticky at the top of the page saying it won't be done and even why.

How many times does someone have to explain something before they are allowed to get annoyed at people asking?

Doing a quick and not too specific search I for "ps3 xbmc" on this forum returned over 180 hits, scanning those i saw at least 6, from the titles alone, that were asking what you have asked.

So you really have no excuse.
I asked about XBMC running on the PS3 itself first. Then, only in the alternative, did I ask about a possible way of doing this through Linux on the PS3. I'd rather not have to go through the effort of installing Linux and then having to boot back and forth - I'd rather a direct PS3 implementation and that's what my post asked about. It's you who are incorrectly assuming that I want to run XBMC through Linux on the PS3 and are berating me for wanting that.

Quote:Doing a quick and not too specific search I for "ps3 xbmc" on
this forum returned over 180 hits, scanning those i saw at least 6,
from the titles alone, that were asking what you have asked.

So you really have no excuse.

I beg to differ. Let's take a look see shall we? Searching for "xbmc
ps3" right now yeilds:

1) VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware
accelerated video decoder

Hmmm, Linux API for NVIDIA... Nope I'm not particularly looking for a
Linux solution as I have already stated.

2) High-Definition video flagging (library filter, and thumbnail overlay)

Nope, nothing to do with what I'm asking about...

3) Re-encoding HD mkv files to DivX/XviD?

ditto.

4) Subtitles (.IDX+.SUB) Crashing XBMC

ditto.

5) XBMC for the Playstation 3?

My specific thread...

6) XBMC Back vs Escape buttons

7) Jittery Video?

8) XBMC ReplayTV to PS3?

I'm not asking about ReplayTV not "to PS3" - I'm asking about XBMC
on PS3...

9) Sticky: IR/RF Remote Control configuration Tutorials

10) HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) step-by-step (NVIDIA)

Again, I'm asking about XBMC on PS3, not under Linux on PS3...

11) [Remote Control] Sony Playstation 3 BD remote interface for windows Xp/Vista

12) Starting XBMC with Apple Remote

ditto.

13) Request: BBC iPlayer plugin and/or script

ditto.

14) Web front-end made for the PS3

Again, XBMC on PS3 not XBMC on a browser running on a PS3...

15) XBMC stream video_ts folder to PS3

16) PlayStation3 (PS3) bluetooth remote and LIRC?

ditto.

17) Stuttering playback

ditto.

18) Sticky: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled builds)

Not interested in XBMC on Linux on a PS3...

19) question about GA-E7AUM-DS2H

Huh?

20) Video formats on XBMC

21) [System Spec] Low power, quiet & small machine

ditto.

22) New EventGhost EventClient for XBMC available

ditto.

23) xbox xbmc not detecting dhcp network

ditto.

24) Touchscreen - ESC (menu) button

ditto.

25) Computer hardware best suited 720p playback in XBMC today?

ditto.

So I'm just not seeing it.

Look I understand you may be frustrated by being repeatedly asked questions. However a kind pointer to an answer (answering the question
I asked not the one you imagined) is really all you need to do.
This is done.
This thread explains why porting to PS3 is challenging.

Anyway, I'll reiterate for your benefit. Running natively on the PS3 requires the SDK, which is not free or open. Even in the hypothetical situation that Sony were to provide us with an SDK, it would require signing a strict NDA that would be incompatible with GPL. In other words, the only way XBMC running natively on the PS3 would even become an option would be if Sony releases a new, more open API similar to Microsoft's XNA.

Running XBMC under Linux on the PS3 requires full PowerPC support in XBMC, which AFAIK is still not anything close to usable (I might be wrong). In addition to PPC support, XBMC also requires OpenGL support. The cell driver being developed by Tungsten Graphics looks promising, however I have no idea whether it can deliver the performance needed to run XBMC at a usable framerate. It appears that currently vertex transformations are slow since they happen on the CPU (PPC), which probably isn't a big deal as far as XBMC is concerned, since we currently perform most vertex transformations on the CPU as well (although moving them to GPU has been on the TODO list for a while).

Another factor to note is that the new cell driver uses SPUs to accelerate OpenGL, which means the SPUs become a shared resource further implying that any application or library (e.g. ffmpeg) that uses the SPU would be much less effective depending on how saturated the SPUs get (btw, no idea if ffmpeg has SPU acceleration).

To sum up, once XBMC properly supports PPC, only then would it even be feasible for it to run on the PS3. Whether it would be usable is another story.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

"Seems to me then that all that need be done is to write "hw acceleration drivers". Surely this is doable..."
For sure it is, it just invovles a couple of thousand hours of work.

"I'm confused. Again, what's homebrew? If you can't run unsigned code on the bundled OS then why not simply sign it? "
Again this costs tremendously much, pure guess is that the development kit and signing costs a couple of thousand dollars, and Im pretty sure someone is still supposed to give money back to sony on each sold and its not allowed to give away for free. So its probably cheaper to just buy a HTPC
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for the Playstation 3?0