Video over HDMI?
I am sorry, I have done tons of searches, but can't seem to find an answer, but is it possible to do video over hdmi? I keep getting a black screen. I am using the ASUS PVN Mb that is so popular here. Any help is greatly appreciated, even just use the dvi instead, in which case i'll get a dvi -> hdmi adapter to get it into my reciever.

Thanks!
sure it is. I do it Smile think it should be outputting automatically. otherwise there might be some setting for your motherboard
mastiff Wrote:I am sorry, I have done tons of searches, but can't seem to find an answer, but is it possible to do video over hdmi? I keep getting a black screen. I am using the ASUS PVN Mb that is so popular here. Any help is greatly appreciated, even just use the dvi instead, in which case i'll get a dvi -> hdmi adapter to get it into my reciever.

Thanks!

I am really wondering about your searching methodology... Shocked No
hdmi + video =)

But, it always comes back to hdmi sounds issues. I will try hooking it to a tv tonight and see what happens. The vga is definately outputting, but I tried almost every video setting in xbmc, and nothing would show on my projector =(.
mastiff Wrote:hdmi + video =)

But, it always comes back to hdmi sounds issues. I will try hooking it to a tv tonight and see what happens. The vga is definately outputting, but I tried almost every video setting in xbmc, and nothing would show on my projector =(.

no offense, but do you think that all those people having hdmi audio issues are using hdmi only for audio and transferring video on vga? Rolleyes

Yes, all those people using video via hdmi and it works perfect.

and what is "ASUS PVN Mb"?
Sorry, meant to say Asus P5N7A-VM mb. And I did not assume that, I did do a couple of google searchs for HDMI + Linux + VIDEO and still had very limited results, so I decided to ask a question.

I followed the Intrepid guide and have everything working, but hdmi output, but I am also trying to feed my reciever from the computer.

Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this? I tried hooking the hdmi wire directly to my projector and still had no video.

The only difference in the guide was I used the latest nvidia drivers that came out a couple of days ago. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Is hdmi enabled in the bios?
Do you have any picture during BIOS POST and boot?
I have the same Asus motherboard and got video out from HDMI right away (using a Panasonic PX70, plasma). However, my plasma has to be turned on before booting my HTPC. I guess there needs to be some handshaking before the motherboard will output any video on HDMI. This is not the case with VGA though which seems to be outputting video continuously.

What's the native resolution on your projector? Maybe the motherboard does not get along with the projector about the resolution (long shot)?
I usually setup my computers on a regular 19" Sony monitor with the VGA port less my custom xorg.conf file. Then I move the system over to it's location and hook up the hdmi and I have noticed I need to boot the system twoce before the hdmi will handshake that could be just with this new LG TV though but I am using the P5N7A as well.

Dave
I have video over vga no issues there to a standalone lcd monitor. I did try rebooting my HTPC a couple times, but I will try that again tonight. Also, I get nothing, no bios screens or anything to my projector. As for the projector resolution its 1280x720 native, It's a Sharp 12000 mkII if that helps --> http://www.projectorcentral.com/SharpVis...12000U.htm
Ok, so new update! I took the box and hooked it to my lcd tv and it was a beautiful thing, audio and video over hdmi!

Next, I tried to directly hook up my box to the projector and bypass the reciever, the 1st time this did not work, but the 2nd time it did, so thank you for that tip! Here is my problem now, when I do video calibration it's always showing up at 4:3, even when I set the output to be 720P I still get a 4:3 resolution on the project. I think I tried every dropdown including the 1280x1024x60htz one and still got a 4:3 resolution on the projector. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

And thanks for all the help so far!
Try reading the EDID information while hooked up to the receiver and compare it to what you get when hooked up to the projector. Sounds to me like the receiver may be fiddling with it and fooling X into displaying incorrectly...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Actually it displays incorrectly directly hooked to the projector. I dont get anything video wise from the reciever, but directly hooked to the projector I get video, but only in 4:3. I tried setting it the video settings to 1280:1084, 1080i, 720p, all give the same thing a 4:3 image, so not sure what to do. I followed intrepid tutorial, but I wonder if somehow I need to tweak my xorg.conf file? Or does xbmc do the xmanagment differently?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video over HDMI?0