XBMC has issues... AGAIN. Going back to desktop.
Hi All,

As if the graphics issues weren't enough, now XBMC won't even start up. I've made it so that XBMC launches when Ubuntu boots up, but now out of nowhere, XBMC will flash the screen for a few seconds and just take me back to the ubuntu login screen. If I log in, it's the same deal again.

Any ideas how I can fix this?
Logs and revision would be a good start!

Please see sticky: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
I can't log in to get access to the logs - when I log in, XBMC runs, quits and drops me back to the login screen. Logging in just does the same thing again.
Do you only have the single user you can login with? If so, what about dropping into the recovery console and disabling XBMC from autostarting.
How can I do that? I'm not really a seasoned linux user so I don't really know how to do much using the command prompt..
Not to sound negative, but it sounds like the issues aren't with XBMC but your lack of familiarity with Linux. Linux can be a beast if you aren't very seasoned with setting it up properly. Have you tried the windows version of XBMC?
That could go some way to explaining some of the problems, however up until today XBMC would launch fine and I had it working up to the point where the computer would boot and launch XBMC. I think I might give up with XBMC linux, it appears to be more trouble than it's worth for a newbie... Sad
The log is still produced but doesn't have very much debug information in it. It's possible to turn on debug logging through editing guisettings.xml, or advancedsettings.xml located in the userdata directory of the running user.

The log will be located in /var/tmp

How are you to edit these files, and view the log you might ask? Single user mode. It will get you to a prompt and enable you to manipulate the file system as you wish.

By the way, titling your thread "XBMC has issues... AGAIN" is a very bad way to start a thread where you actually need help from users that have no issues with XBMC.
faintaxis Wrote:That could go some way to explaining some of the problems, however up until today XBMC would launch fine and I had it working up to the point where the computer would boot and launch XBMC. I think I might give up with XBMC linux, it appears to be more trouble than it's worth for a newbie... Sad

You could always try the XBMC Live version if you want an easy-to-use linux XBMC.

Also.. when you get more familiar with console, I'd suggest installing sshd to allow you to remotely login to the box when you get into situations like that.

My two cents.
Honestly to me it sounds as if he tried to run really fast before walking - no offense. Linux is a bit of work to learn and the configuration he was working with that had no window manager and was logging straight to XBMC isn't what I would call beginner class for just this reason - difficult to troubleshoot when it goes BOOM! I have been tempted to try it myself to make my installs more appliance-like but... times like this I am glad I haven't ;-) If this were a straight Ubuntu install slimmed down with just XBMC and some tools you'd probably be able to better handle troubleshooting it and posting logs etc. with much less frustration.

Just my 2cents but if yuo decide you want to have at it again maybe consider doing a more straightforward install and slowly easing into the harder stuff. This is what I have done and it's served me well - I too would be frustrated in this situation for sure!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
You can enable debugging with advancedsetting.xml (see wiki). You ought to beable to drop to a console and create that file and also get at the log (ctrl+alt+f1(or any of F2-12)).

I agree with the others, you need to know what you've done and how to undo it before you go jumping into this stuff. If I were you I'd work whatever "tutorial" you followed backwards until you can login and get a normal desktop. Create another profile specifically for XBMC and set this one up for autologin/launch if you really need it. Then you have your normal profile as an easy backdoor into the system for when things break.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC has issues... AGAIN. Going back to desktop.0