New NVIDIA Forceware 182.06 with full OpenGL 3.0 support, any good for XBMC?
Hi,

NVIDIA just released the new Forceware drivers and their changelog says:

Quote:
  • Includes full support for OpenGL 3.0 on GeForce 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs.
I'm wondering if we should expect any benefit in XBMC from installing these new drivers or if it doesn't make a difference at all. I mean, if my XBMC system is currently running fine, should I see any difference or not it will be about the same?
Anyone? Sad
quite sure this won't affect xbmc
OpenGL 3.0 adds: GLSL 1.3, VAO, full precision render buffers, half precision vertex/pixels, full precision depth, texture arrays, and transform-to-buffer. None of this would be used by XBMCs implementation. I can't see how it could be, but if you have an idea let us know!
No ideas, that's not my thing... I don't understand any of that, I just knew that XBMC uses OpenGL and that NVIDIA added full support for OpenGL v3.0 and I was just wondering if NVIDIA+XBMC users would have any benefit in this.

Thank you both.
So, a follow-up to the original question goes to the Devs...

Are there any performance or feature enhancements in 3.0 that XBMC can take advantage of?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I don't think the devs will actually see this topic (in this subforum) unless someone "calls" them... Tongue
Here's my question. Is OpenGL at all likely to break XBMC? It shouldn't, I don't think. It is supposed to be backwards compatible, but it'd be nice if someone who had it installed could speak up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New NVIDIA Forceware 182.06 with full OpenGL 3.0 support, any good for XBMC?0