DAAP Discovery on Apple TV Version?
Hi guys,

Just a quick question -- is DAAP (iTunes share) auto-discovery enabled in the Mac/Apple TV version of XBMC? I am planning on buying one of these things and doing the patchstick install, and would love to be able to automatically see (without entering an IP address)/listen to iTunes shares.

Actually, while we're talking about this, is it possible to do Airport Express streaming as well? I guess that would require an Apple Lossless encoder in XBMC, or perhaps it could pass this work to QuickTime in the background?

Thanks!
-W
w3__ Wrote:Hi guys,

Just a quick question -- is DAAP (iTunes share) auto-discovery enabled in the Mac/Apple TV version of XBMC? I am planning on buying one of these things and doing the patchstick install, and would love to be able to automatically see (without entering an IP address)/listen to iTunes shares.

Actually, while we're talking about this, is it possible to do Airport Express streaming as well? I guess that would require an Apple Lossless encoder in XBMC, or perhaps it could pass this work to QuickTime in the background?

Thanks!
-W

As far as I know, Apple intentionally broke DAAP compatibility in all versions of iTunes post-6. (They are evil, after all)

So if you upgrade every 48 hours like apple wants you to, then, no, I don't think it will work.

If you can find an iTunes installation before 7.x and turn off updates, you may be able to get it to work.

-Wes
Oh, so you're saying pre-8 DAAP auto-discovery *ALREADY* exists in XBMC for Mac?
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=ITunes_(DAAP)
there is currently no daap autodiscovery
Aha. Is this something that might go in? Is it possible for XBMC to just use the hooks built into OSX for autodiscovery?
Given that apple no longer uses DAAP, certainly not for this. If it's useful for something else, then it might be useful I guess. UPnP seems like the obvious thing, and that already has autodiscover.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Oh wow, they didn't just break compatibility with it, they changed the whole protocol??
XBMC can connect to DAAP shares (iTunes 6 or lower or Firefly), but it doesn't use mDNS discovery - you must manually enter in the IP address. If your music host supports SMB serves, it will work better (you can use computer's network name if static LAN is unsupported). The DAAP protocol was cool, but when using XBMC/Boxee, SMB is better because it can scan the music into a local library.

iTunes > 6 uses encrypted DACP, and only Apple Products and the Roku Soundbridge can connect and stream from these shares.
w3__ Wrote:Oh wow, they didn't just break compatibility with it, they changed the whole protocol??
They broke compatibility (a couple if times, I seem to remember). I use Roku SoundBridges for audio and Roku are an Apple licensee for DAAP and even they got burned by the changes that Apple made. The first time, it took 2-3 months for them to get a fix out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DAAP Discovery on Apple TV Version?0