XML extension as alternative to NFO? Use "MovieName.XML" instead of "MovieName.NFO"?
Lightbulb 
Would you guys consider using a different extension to store/look for metadata? There is no standard for .nfo files (Windows, by default, thinks they're System Info files), but they're widely used as plain text files and are not normally xml or structured in any way, and using .nfo as the standard extension causes lots of name clashes with plain text .nfo files.

Perhaps something like ".meta.xml" or something similar? Would a patch changing this be accepted?
If anything is changed, it would be done via a patch that adds support for both. And .xml seems like the most sensible solution here.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ok, I've created a patch here.
Question 
hi, how do you enable the alternate library xml nfo extension feature? I cant find it in the menu.

you can't use videoname.nfo for xbmc library xml because that file name is already used by people who make videos. there is a naming conflict and xbmc didn't come first.

maybe just videoname.xml works? or since xbmc created the file format, it should be videoname.xbmcml.
Name your files tvshow.nfo or movie.nfo.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Just wondering is there any chance of marirs' patch above being incorporated into XBMC, or this feature otherwise added? Using an .xml extension is a simple and appropriate solution to the problem. By using .nfo, XBMC is conflicting with an existing (unofficial) standard.

Using movie.nfo doesn't solve the problem, because XBMC still exports to <moviefilename>.nfo. This means I have to select "don't overwrite" when exporting from XBMC, and therefore some of the movies do not have their information exported.
Sorry for bringing back an old thread but does anyone have an update on this? Seems like a trivial fix but I guess no-one at team xbmc cares for it.
Was anything done with this?

Ideally I think there should be an option to define whatever alternative file extension to .nfo that you want (perhaps something you can put in advancedsettings.xml).
A tracker issue was created some time ago but someone closed it. Not sure why, but I don't mind re-requesting this.

I need this feature so bad I'm considering doing something I haven't done in many many years, to grab the source code, make the modifications, recompile... but then the only I reason I haven't done so is that I'd have to do it again every time there's a major release.

The only thing that could make me forget about this feature is if they make XBMC server software to allow us to keep shared libraries in sync in real-time.
Someone needs to take said patch and take ownership of it, doing a pull request on github and making any changes requested.

The basic idea is fine, though the implementation will need quite a few changes to be brought up to date. I'd suggest the IsNFO() change is probably not really required.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XML extension as alternative to NFO? Use "MovieName.XML" instead of "MovieName.NFO"?2