DVI To Television
I'm thinking about taking one of my pc's and using it as a HTPC, but I was wondering how I'd hook that up to a television with audio.

I know there are DVI to HDMI cables (that you plug the DVI side into your pc and then the HDMI into the television), but how will this deliver audio aswell. I thought that HDMI was for audio and video through the same cable, If I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable won't it be video only?

If anyone could clear this up for me that'd be great.
Indeed you are correct. The DVI only carries video so the audio will have to be sourced from another location.

This will pose a problem for you if you're taking that input and expecting the TV to be able to take an alternative audio source for that input. For the most part I would imagine that if the input is HDMI it would only allow for audio to be input on the same HDMI port. In fact I've never seen a TV that allow you to mix and match video/audio inputs.

For this you'll need a receiver to manage the inputs. Most receivers will allow you to "mix and match" to at least some degree.

The output of the audio will have to come from a sound card through an analog or digital output into the receiver. Then in the receiver setup the selection for the HDMI video, and alternative audio source.

It would also be possible to bypass the receiver in regards to video and have the receiver just handle audio, and then switch the TVs inputs to the HDMI.

Either way, you've got a pretty good grasp on the task at hand.
DVI is video only. You will need a dedicated auto input (SPDIF, composite, stereo mini-jack) on the tv to accept from your sound card on your computer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVI To Television0