How to use the virtual keyboard with the arrow keys?
I've been searching a while for this but can't seem to find anything helpful...

When there's a need to type something in XBMC, searching for instance, a virtual keyboard pops up. When lock code is needed, a numpad pops up.

I can only type numbers into both of these "virtual keyboards" with the numbers on my remote. When I press the arrow keys on the remote, the selected button on the virtual keyboard doesn't move.

Is there anyway I can type using the virtual keyboard and a remote? It kinda sucks have to plugin a keyboard to type a video search in the YouTube plugin, as an example...
I don't think there is anything you can do. I have the same problem, and as I recently stated, it's one of the very few things keeping me from using XBMC instead of MediaPortal.

There was a thread about it a while back, maybe on the Linux forum, where a developer said that there isn't a way to fix it.

You might be able to map your remote arrows to XBMC's move up, move down, etc. commands instead of mapping them to the keyboard arrows.
Well, for me, XBMC has a huge pile of things that keeps me from going back to MediaPortal, but that's another thing Wink

xanadu1979 Wrote:You might be able to map your remote arrows to XBMC's move up, move down, etc. commands instead of mapping them to the keyboard arrows.
Can you help me on that?
Nazgulled Wrote:Can you help me on that?

Depends.

What kind of remote to you have?
What software are you using to configure it for XBMC (EventGhost, IR Server Suite)?
What you're looking for is info on "Keymap" it's the binding file for all the controllers (as far as I know) for XBMC.

Here is the wiki on it: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml

I had to rebind some stuff to work around with my remote too.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...eyboard.3E
toiva Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...eyboard.3E

Wow! I can't believe I never saw that before. I swear there was a post around here not too long ago that said there was no way to do it.

Thanks!
There are multiple threads on this. Dont let jmarshall see this one because he has answered all the old ones in the past Smile

<navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard> <!-- This will activate virtual keyboard navigation, default is false -->
* jmarshall looks away
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I swear I searched...

My problem, sometimes, is that English is not my native tongue and I may have missed some proper keywords for my problem, but I think I used "virtual" and "keyboard" but couldn't find anything, maybe it slipped...

Sorry about that! Blush

And thank you Rolleyes

EDIT:
That advanced setting works fine for the full virtual keyboard, but when only the numpad is shown (for instance, on numeric locks), I can't navigate the virtual numpad... Bug or something else?
just wounder why is the default set to false? And shouldn't this be something changeable in the GUI? when you find out your remote cant control onscreen keyboard you don't want to have to look on the forums/wiki how to fix this.
Nazgulled Wrote:That advanced setting works fine for the full virtual keyboard, but when only the numpad is shown (for instance, on numeric locks), I can't navigate the virtual numpad... Bug or something else?
Anyone?
You can't just use the number keys on your remote for that? I'm guessing that's why you can't navigate it with the arrows. Pretty much every remote has number keys.
I can, but I was just wondering why can't I navigate the virtual numpad just as I do to navigate the virtual keyboard.
i need litle help..

<advancedsettings>
<navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard>
</advancedsettings>

i created advancedsettings.xml and copied this in this xml file
and now i dont know where i need put this fileHuh i know that i need put in \UserData\ but where is it because i found two \UserData\ folders one in programfiles\xbmc\UserData\ and other is in documents and settings\Administrator\Appliction Data\xbmc\UserData\

i copied file in boath folders and nothing happened

thx on answers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to use the virtual keyboard with the arrow keys?0