Use SMS like for text input across XBMC
Once again, I swear I searched and I did find a bit of info about this... For instance, the JumpSMS2 thing and I already configured my keymap.xml for that...

But I'm still missing SMS like text input all over the place...

For instance, when the virtual keyboard pops up, no matter how fast I press the number buttons, it will always be numbers, they don't change to letters.

Besides the virtual keyboard, I would to type SMS like in other fields where the virtual keyboard doesn't pop up, for instance, the "search" field on the music/video library and some settings also have a field to directly type text.

How can I make SMS like input text to work all over the place?
Probably due to your remote actually sending keyboard keys I should think.

In this case, you may be able to map them to the remote numbers (just as you can elsewhere) via keymap.xml - I'm not sure. You'd probably want to map them in the global section to the numbers, then map the jump stuff in the sections that it makes sense. Compare the remote section with the keyboard section should give you an idea.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'm not sure what to map and to what...

My remote works by using it's own software (iMON) and map it's buttons to keyboard shortcuts, that's how I'm controlling XBMC.

My best guess is that I should place map the number keys in <global><keyboard> to some actions and those actions should have the proper way to handle SMS like input text. If that's true, which actions are those?

If not, can you be a little more specific on what are you suggesting?

P.S: The Jump SMS is already configured to jump to the letters in the library, I'm just looking for SMS like input text in all other places...
correct. Exactly the same way as you did the mapping to JumpSMS. Map them to number0->number9 or whatever it is (check the remote section).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

It didn't work...

For instance, I added the following to my keymap.xml:

<global><keyboard><two>Number2</two></keyboard></global>

(example, not the full keymap.xml file)

And it didn't work... Sad I checked the remote section and it's like you said, Number0, Number1, Number2, etc...

And it does make sense it doesn't work... The default keymap.xml already has those entries.

For the record, dunno if it matters, I tested directly with a keyboard, either in the top numbers and the numpad and they both outputted just numbers.

Maybe the actions needed here are not Number0, Number1, etc... but something else?
Probably as it doesn't know that they're coming from the remote. Not sure if there's anything that can be done about that to be honest.

But isn't this a feature that is implemented? It should be able to work, somehow...
No one has any other ideas then? Sad
This is a total shot in the dark as I have not tried this, but what about just putting this code:

<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>

into every remote section (or keyboard section if you're using the Harmony with Windows/Linux) in the whole keymap.xml?
I will not be able to test that until next week but I don't think it will work...

Let us know if you test it yourself and the results Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use SMS like for text input across XBMC0