Best platform for XBMC Media Center today?
Question 
I was wondering was the best platform to get the most out of the XBMC. At this moment I have a XBOX, but am experiencing video playback memory issues with the mediastream skin, even after changing the cache size and disabling 1080i.

So, if I want to get the best out of the xbmc which is the best platform?

Apple Tv:
[PROS]
• HDMI output.
• It will look GREAT @ my living room.
• Wi-Fi.
• 160 GB HD for 350 CAD.

[CONS]
• 720p

HTPC (Home Theatre PC)
Here comes a lot of questions, motherboard, graphics card, sound card, processor but the most important of all is the OS, Linux, Windows or Mac.

[PROS]
• Upgradable.
• You get as much as you spend.

[CONS]
• More than 350 CAD fur sure.
• A desktop besides my PS3, Wii, Xbox and satellite box won’t look so nice.

So... at the end WHATS THE BEST PLATFORM?
The best platf
wait for ion
true, wait for ion.

But.... if it's looks you're worried about check out the cases from these guys

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p...lc19&area=

I know the guy who made the "boxee box" chose a case from here and it's beautiful....expensive...but beautiful.
Nice Case. I like the flip down in front. Thats the look I want when I go PC.
kizer Wrote:Nice Case. I like the flip down in front. Thats the look I want when I go PC.

Agreed.
I am seriously thinking of putting my xbox running xbmc into a media style pc case. As is its ugly and kind of loud. There are some sweet looking xbox's modded into media cases over on the xbox-scene forums.

As for the op's question, right now the original xbox is my platform of choice. All the others have too many cons at the time.

The xbox just works. And works well.
Have you tried the mediastream lite build?
Linux because XBMC for Linux has hardware acceleration for Nvidia graphics cards.
ultrabrutal Wrote:wait for ion

Didnt think this was viable? Huh
johnny2 Wrote:Linux because XBMC for Linux has hardware acceleration for Nvidia graphics cards.

It's not in the main code base yet. Keep your pants on. It'll get there eventually, in the mean time, don't go round telling people stuff in a way that would mislead them.

As for the best platform, a PC, hands down. The hardware is superior, and manageability of the software. 5 Years ago it would have been the Xbox, however, time has changed things and the support for other platforms has grown and now I feel that a PC of some kind is the better choice.
Maxim Wrote:It's not in the main code base yet. Keep your pants on. It'll get there eventually, in the mean time, don't go round telling people stuff in a way that would mislead them.

Blow me idiot. Hardware acceleration for XBMC for Linux is here now and working. Anyone who is interested can go to the Linux forum and find out how to install it. Winbloze will never get hardware acceleration in XBMC so you prisoners of Bill can suck it.
Wow. That got negative quickly!

Also, it's not entirely accurate. Hardware acceleration works for specific pieces of nvidia hardware. If you happen to have those pieces, you'll be doing well for yourself. If you don't, hardware acceleration doesn't work at all. This is the reason people suggest waiting for ion. Theoretically, Ion will standardize video drivers, audio drivers, and, for all intents and purposes, most other drivers.

At that point, Linux will suddenly become the obvious and easy choice. Until then, it'll be tricky to deal with.
Sad 
johnny2 Wrote:Blow me idiot. Hardware acceleration for XBMC for Linux is here now and working. Anyone who is interested can go to the Linux forum and find out how to install it. Winbloze will never get hardware acceleration in XBMC so you prisoners of Bill can suck it.

That type of interaction is completely inappropriate. The people here in these forums are here to help others by providing facts about XBMC from the official stable and SVN builds on basic hardware, as others have mentioned hardware acceleration is only supported on specific nVidia hardware running modified builds. If that type of solution does it for you then let it be so but don’t respond to a factual comment with anger and malice, act like an adult, not a under educated peace of trailer trash.

Slice

P.S. as to ION I tend to agree, it is an extremely promising platform for XBMC in a set top box form factor on the cheap, but until it is released, publicly available, and XBMC supports nVidia hardware acceleration natively without modified code then it is a bit of a dream.
I have always been a windows guy, xbmc runs great for me on xp 32 bit and an intel e8400. 720p, 1080p, .mkv, whatever, haven't seen any problems yet.

The codecs in xbmc really shine in comparison to playing discs in my upconvert player. Plus i can adjust audio offset and zoom, whats not to like.

As a side note just watched freddy vs. jason, man that movie looks great. The coloring and lighting was top notch.

TC Big Grin
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
tcman47 Wrote:I have always been a windows guy, xbmc runs great for me on xp 32 bit and an intel e8400. 720p, 1080p, .mkv, whatever, haven't seen any problems yet.

The codecs in xbmc really shine in comparison to playing discs in my upconvert player. Plus i can adjust audio offset and zoom, whats not to like.

As a side note just watched freddy vs. jason, man that movie looks great. The coloring and lighting was top notch.

TC Big Grin

Couple questions.

Dos the pc xbmc work as smoothly as the xbox version? (assuming you have used the xbox version....)

How is the remote control part of it?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best platform for XBMC Media Center today?0