Best platform for XBMC Media Center today?
I vote against the Apple TV. I recently bought and returned one. It's just not enough of an upgrade to make it worthwile if you already have an Xbox. Some things were actually slower it than the Xbox.

On a side note, try changing the font in Mediastream to AltDefault, you'll actually get about 2mb of free memory back.
dtviewer Wrote:Couple questions.

Dos the pc xbmc work as smoothly as the xbox version? (assuming you have used the xbox version....)

How is the remote control part of it?

Thanks

Can't help you, never have had an xbox and I use a wireless keyboard & mouse for my controller.

TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
johnny2 Wrote:Blow me idiot. Hardware acceleration for XBMC for Linux is here now and working. Anyone who is interested can go to the Linux forum and find out how to install it. Winbloze will never get hardware acceleration in XBMC so you prisoners of Bill can suck it.

You are an idiot.
johnny2 Wrote:Blow me idiot. Hardware acceleration for XBMC for Linux is here now and working. Anyone who is interested can go to the Linux forum and find out how to install it. Winbloze will never get hardware acceleration in XBMC so you prisoners of Bill can suck it.

Chill mate!

Ofcourse hardware acceleration could come to windows aswell, just someone stepping up and code ie a directshow player. This is the ONLY reason you have it in linux, someone stepped up and coded it, it could have easily been for windows instead of linux. So please be kind and gratefull its being worked on instead of gloat.

XBMC strives to work the same on all plattforms, feel the same on all plattform. Making the choice of plattform individual choices, like driversupport or just personal preferences.

The most developers are working on linux port as linux is OSS and we see a great benefit of working on a open source OS, ie XBMC Live. But the more windows developers there get the better it will become, may even surpass the linux version.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
dtviewer Wrote:Couple questions.

Dos the pc xbmc work as smoothly as the xbox version? (assuming you have used the xbox version....)

How is the remote control part of it?

Thanks

Yep.... its as smooth if you have enough grunt.. start getting into low end single core P4's and the Xbox wipes it..... the M$ media centre remote works. I still run Xbox as my main lounge box... I dont have enough HD content to justify building a HTPC at the moment and the Xbox works flawlessly. All my test beds are windows machines.....
i have an old P4 1800 with XBMC installed. it works but i need helping programs like ultramon. I watch TV on my good old TV (no tft or plasma).
Now i have the quenstion. Do i buy a wireless keyboard and mouse? or should i just buy a premodded xbox1 with DVD pack for just a few euro's more.
I am really thinking about the last options, also just to reduce energy consumption.

i dont play HD couse it would not be a big difference on my TV.

So for normal DVD playing, dvd rips, mp3 content from a harddrive. what could you advice. Just thinking about the money.
I don't know about anyone else, but if standard dev video is all you are looking for, it's hard to beat the classic xbox. Once things are installed, everything just works. You don't have to worry about ultramon or keyboards, or anything.

Honestly, that's why I'm personally so excited about the ION concept. It'd be like a cheaper, faster version of the Mac Mini, but with an MCE remote. And, given enough time, I imagine a ready-made XBMC Live drive would allow a person to buy the tiny box, plug it in, pop the thumbdrive in a USB port, and have an instant-on XBMC experience.

I mean, how awesome would that be? It'd essentially be a modded xbox with HD capability, but without the xbox1 games.
Has anyone setup an intel mini-itc system and get xbmc running. This is the mobo: BOXDG45FC

What is so much better with the ION platform?

thx
Geeba Wrote:You are an idiot.

"You are the ones who are the ball-lickers."

Sorry, couldn't resist. Quick, name that movie.

As to the Ion question, I thought I'd explained this, but the video chipset provided by Nvidia allows for GPU decoding in Linux. This means you can have a super cheap motherboard, a super cheap CPU, and a tiny form factor, and STILL all of your 1080p content should run without issue.
I thought Clerks II at first, but I think it is Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
s.s.s Wrote:Has anyone setup an intel mini-itc system and get xbmc running. This is the mobo: BOXDG45FC

What is so much better with the ION platform?

thx

Yes, there are a number of users having this platform. I have it actually.

The only real issue I have with it is that it does not support 65nm as advertised, 45nm works beutifull though.
I have the high pitched noise people complain about, but mine goes away if I have a USB drive in it, so I just always leave one in.
The high pitch noise is not present in linux though.

The drivers are still very imature in linux and only borderline works, lots of issues regarding sound and HDMI audio specifically is nightmarish to setup in linux. Windows everything works perfect.

All in all Im happy with it but Im a bit dissapointed on the capacitors (high pitch sound) and that the chipset fails to work with 65nm.

Also most nvidia chipset produce less heat with gfx than the intel. And nvidia gpus are faster usually, thats the benefit on ION (which by the way is not available for purchase yet and wont be for some time)
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
For me, I am running XBMC on Windows XP Pro (that I built very barebones using nLite). I bought an off lease HP DX5150 SFF desktop which has fairly modest specs (Athlon64 3200+, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD) then I threw in a cheap Nvidia 8300GS and a Soundblaster 24-bit Live. The whole setup cost me less than $200 CDN, and it pumps out 720p & DD 5.1 without breaking much of a sweat - so truth be told, you don't need a powerhouse of a PC (though I wish the case were less ugly Big Grin ).

I'm experienced with Linux, but I honestly didn't want to have to mess with it in the living room Tongue
Topfs2 Wrote:Yes, there are a number of users having this platform. I have it actually.

The only real issue I have with it is that it does not support 65nm as advertised, 45nm works beutifull though.
I have the high pitched noise people complain about, but mine goes away if I have a USB drive in it, so I just always leave one in.
The high pitch noise is not present in linux though.

The drivers are still very imature in linux and only borderline works, lots of issues regarding sound and HDMI audio specifically is nightmarish to setup in linux. Windows everything works perfect.

All in all Im happy with it but Im a bit dissapointed on the capacitors (high pitch sound) and that the chipset fails to work with 65nm.

Also most nvidia chipset produce less heat with gfx than the intel. And nvidia gpus are faster usually, thats the benefit on ION (which by the way is not available for purchase yet and wont be for some time)

I see that ith ION ZOTAC IONITX-B-E is available now at newegg.
I'd love to try one but I am broke. Sad
I almost can't contain myself http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx-a-u...board.html

Must have now :p

EDIT: I am trying to figure out if you can allocate 512MB GFX memory on the Zotac boards, doesn't seem to say anywhere.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best platform for XBMC Media Center today?0