What is the IDE of choice for coding XBMC? Eclipse CDT?
Is anyone using the Eclipse CDT (http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/) IDE for the c/c++ source code?

Quote:The CDT (C/C++ Development Tools) Project provides a fully functional C and C++ Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the Eclipse platform. The features include: support for project creation and managed build for various toolchains, standard make build, source navigation, various source knowledge tools, such as type hierarchy, call graph, include browser, macro definition browser, code editor with syntax highlighting, folding and hyperlink navigation, source code refactoring and code generation, visual debugging tools, including memory, registers, and disassembly viewers.

I've submitted a few patches now battling away with Mousepad and it just takes soo long.

What IDE people are using for XBMC?
Visual Studio + XCode :p

On linux, some use KDevelop, some Emacs, some vim. Not sure if anyone is using Eclipse.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I've used Eclipse for a lot of Java development so might try to get the dvdplayer part of the source base working with CDT to finish off one last patch.

Eclipse is great because it can pretty much be run on any platform that has Java.

If anyone is interested in the Eclipse workspace settings once they are sorted show some interest in this thread.
I'm pretty sure either yuvalt or vulkanr commited eclipse CDT project files a few months back. Not that that make eclipse any less crappy :p vim + ctags is where it's at!
I would also recomend monodevelop, starts to shape up rather nice. But there is no projectfile for XBMC with monodevelop though.

gedit + makefiles for me
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I would be interested in the files for Eclipse.

If i want to develop with Eclipse, how do I set it up to configure before build when testing? Also, can I build smaller parts of the project without building the entire thing?
I tried eclipse. It seemed too slow.

Though, kdevelop is not the best, but seems to be more responsive than eclipse.

TS
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

I've got Eclipse CDT working with the XBMC source tree.

Mmmm, code completion for local and member variables, method calls etc. and all the options for refactoring like I was used to with Java, e.g. rename variable. Haven't tried any of the refactoring tools for real yet, but it all seems to be hooked together fine.

Not sure of the best way to share project files for the case someone else is interested.

I noticed there are some Eclipse files in the source tree, but they look specific to some Mac OS X development that is being done.

Setting it up was pretty straight forward. I've just created an "external tool" to run configure, and hooked in the main make file actions, e.g. make, distclean, clean, at the top level.

Not sure I'll bother trying to get it to the point that it could be debugged with breakpoints though, I'll only be doing some further small patches.

Eclipse is soooo much better for me than trying to trawl through a text editor trying to remember what classes various things are and what method calls etc there are for them. Makes using the global variables with the oodles of member variables they have much easier to understand/follow as well.

For those of you with commit privileges there's also the Subversive plugin to manage all of the stuff that's checked out as well.

If anyone's interested I can write some short notes about how I set it up.
barney_1 Wrote:I would be interested in the files for Eclipse.

If i want to develop with Eclipse, how do I set it up to configure before build when testing? Also, can I build smaller parts of the project without building the entire thing?

Configure can be set up easily as an "External Tool". The External Tool configuration basically lets you run any program you want. I set mine up so it is only run if triggered manually. They can also be setup to run before or after building if necessary.

With the CDT framework, it understands Makefile's so you can setup targets for any Makefile in the source tree.

Builds can be more integrated with source code changes, but I haven't got that far yet and I think that requires some more configuration for all of the stuff that the current Makefile's deal with.
I would greatly appreciate any notes about setting up eclipse CDT with xbmc
It's short but at least a starting point. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Eclipse_CDT_...evelopment
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the IDE of choice for coding XBMC? Eclipse CDT?0