• 5(current)
Hulu Plugin Development Thread - Developers only!
I know we can't get to content without a lot of hoop jumping at the moment, but I'd really appreciate some assistance Sad... Thanks.
Anyone working on wrapping this into a package?
Anyone working on this at all? (honest question here, not trying to be sarcastic).
monza700 Wrote:Anyone working on this at all? (honest question here, not trying to be sarcastic).

i think most of the people got burnt out working on this. i would love to see hulu plugin live again but they put so many annoyances in the way that it makes the benefit doesn't outweigh the amount of work required. they can make little changes to make your all that work pointless.

just on a personal level if i had a working hulu plugin i would keep it private to actually keep it functional. i know thats not great for the community but i like my fox shows.
Yeah, we might end up waiting until Hulu finally concedes and allows for streaming, especially since this is one of just a couple places Hulu looks for any thwarts to their precious encryption.

Maybe they'll give up once they realise that people can just launch Firefox on their HTPC's and browse it with their wireless mouse or over VNC, so their banning of XBMC/Boxee from their streams only slows people down about 5 seconds.

HINT: Map a button on your remote to kill xbmc.bin and launch Firefox, use a wireless mouse to browse hulu.com, and maybe set the default font to something readable on your TV.

I forgot about good old Synergy2 http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ which is what I will try next.
DDM123 Wrote:Yeah, we might end up waiting until Hulu finally concedes and allows for streaming, especially since this is one of just a couple places Hulu looks for any thwarts to their precious encryption.

Maybe they'll give up once they realise that people can just launch Firefox on their HTPC's and browse it with their wireless mouse or over VNC, so their banning of XBMC/Boxee from their streams only slows people down about 5 seconds.

HINT: Map a button on your remote to kill xbmc.bin and launch Firefox, use a wireless mouse to browse hulu.com, and maybe set the default font to something readable on your TV.

I forgot about good old Synergy2 http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ which is what I will try next.

it would be trivial just to launch firefox from the hulu plugin with the episode's url as parameters, then all you would have to do is click the fullscreen button, which is unfortunately hard to automate.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Not burnt out, there just wasn't anything more to talk about, I've been downloading happily since then.

It just broke again today for me; they're now encrypting the XML program info too. But it only took a few minutes to find the new keys. At this point it's not even interesting any more ... extract the keys, decrypt the text, move on.
highlandsun Wrote:Not burnt out, there just wasn't anything more to talk about, I've been downloading happily since then.

It just broke again today for me; they're now encrypting the XML program info too. But it only took a few minutes to find the new keys. At this point it's not even interesting any more ... extract the keys, decrypt the text, move on.

Are you using rtmpdump/get_iplayer to do your downloading or something else?
After I figure out what's broken, I edit my copy of get_iplayer and continue to use that.
highlandsun Wrote:Not burnt out, there just wasn't anything more to talk about, I've been downloading happily since then.

I too am working on a program to download hulu shows. It was working for a few days for me until about a week ago when I noticed the SMIL file's URL had a "&v=" name/value pair appended to it that I hadn't seen before, along with encrypting the SMIL file itself. Unfortunately, my program stopped working for me after that. I assume that "&v=" value is a part of the decryption process. However, I've not been able to figure out how to decrypt the SMIL file. Is there any way you could let me in on your decryption method? Thanks.
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the SMIL text is now encrypted server-side and is decrypted client-side by JavaScript. I too would be interested in knowing how you cracked that.
TheEvilHammer Wrote:I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the SMIL text is now encrypted server-side and is decrypted client-side by JavaScript. I too would be interested in knowing how you cracked that.

Please try things before you wonder how they're done. This decrypting via javascript crap isn't what you think.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
it really makes no sense to put the time and effort into figuring out how to reverse engineer what hulu are doing today knowing that it could and will likely change in the near future. Anybody that really cares to put in effort should work on doing something like Plex does with their media server component -- zoom in on webkit or some similar browser.
mr.b Wrote:it really makes no sense to put the time and effort into figuring out how to reverse engineer what hulu are doing today knowing that it could and will likely change in the near future. Anybody that really cares to put in effort should work on doing something like Plex does with their media server component -- zoom in on webkit or some similar browser.

Unfortunately, such a technique will not work for me due to my computer's relative lack of processing power. Any video that streams from hulu's own web-based player is painfully choppy for me. So my only option to watch a smooth video is to access the rtmp stream and download the flv file directly to my HD and play it using VLC or WMP, etc.
mr.b Wrote:it really makes no sense to put the time and effort into figuring out how to reverse engineer what hulu are doing today knowing that it could and will likely change in the near future. Anybody that really cares to put in effort should work on doing something like Plex does with their media server component -- zoom in on webkit or some similar browser.

i disagree on some points.

we all expect change on all streaming sites but its the frequency of the changes that matter. if we get a few months of entertainment before something is changed to break it then i think that is an acceptable benefit/work ratio.

the web browser approach seems popular(boxee,plex) because its likelihood of future compatibility. My problem with this is their codecs are crap in flash. it takes up more power and resources and displays in lower quality with less user control. maybe i am spoiled by xbmc but the codecs in flash are sub par imho.

example: I use boxee on my appletv and it stutters decoding vp6 videos sometimes. the same videos that my xbmc played on my xbox with ease. i tried h264 too and it isn't watchable because of the stutter. i have saved some of the same h264 streams that playback perfectly on my old xbox(not streaming but just as an example of power needed)

the second downside to the web browser is that older systems(read xbox) will never be able to do this. the resources are just too limited.

i care to put in effort approaches other then the web browser method because i prefer it even if it will break more.

i am not trying to discourage people who do because i do see the benefits and use software that does this(boxee). its just i would rather have more control over the audio/video then that.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hulu Plugin Development Thread - Developers only!1